From: (PeteCresswell) on
My TX's screen went south, then the TX itself went missing.

Got backups (system 5), so I'm ready to move to another Palm
device.

For my use, a phone/PDA seems logical.

Can anybody recommend a make/model to shop for?

I keep hearing that "Treo" is among the best, but am clueless
about different models/availability. I'm assuming they're all
GSM.
--
PeteCresswell
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> My TX's screen went south, then the TX itself went missing.
>
> Got backups (system 5), so I'm ready to move to another Palm
> device.
>
> For my use, a phone/PDA seems logical.
>
> Can anybody recommend a make/model to shop for?
>
> I keep hearing that "Treo" is among the best, but am clueless
> about different models/availability. I'm assuming they're all
> GSM.

Dangerous assumption! The largest service provider, Verizon Wireless,
uses CDMA rather than GSM. I know, for example, that Motorola makes
CDMA phones. I have one in my shirt pocket. It would not surprise me
in the least to learn that Motorola also makes GSM phones.

I don't know what the situation is with Treo. Find out before you get
your nose rubbed in the facts. If your carrier uses GSM then by all
means buy a GSM phone. Just be careful to get your ducks in a row
BEFORE you buy anything or sign any cell phone service contract.
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> My TX's screen went south, then the TX itself went missing.
>
> Got backups (system 5), so I'm ready to move to another Palm
> device.
>
> For my use, a phone/PDA seems logical.
>
> Can anybody recommend a make/model to shop for?
>
> I keep hearing that "Treo" is among the best, but am clueless
> about different models/availability. I'm assuming they're all
> GSM.

That's a risky assumption!!

Verizon Wireless is the biggest provider in the U.S. and they are almost
exclusively CDMA. Their coverage is very good. There are places in the
U.S. where you can't get signal with a VZW phone but they tend to be
places where it's tough to get a signal from ANY provider. For some
reason the providers are reluctant to install towers where the
population density drops below three people per square mile! :-)

You might think about making a list of MUST HAVE features and another
list of NICE TO HAVE features. Then start rating the available phones.

I believe that there are a few "dual mode" phones that can speak both
CDMA and GSM. I suspect that they are a little larger, a little heavier
and a lot more expensive.