From: Derek Simmons on
I realize what I'm looking for might not be out there anymore but I'm
trying to give it my best shot.

A couple of years ago I came across a website that somebody put up
describing an ultimate RISC or MISC processor they were developing.
One of their goals was to be able to run LINUX on it. Was having a
conversation with of friend of mine that made me think of this and I
wondered if they ever achieved their goal.

I think his processor had 16 different instructions and they had
implemented it using an FPGA.

Does this sound familair to anybody?

Thanks,
Derek
From: -jg on
On Feb 22, 1:45 pm, Derek Simmons <dereks...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize what I'm looking for might not be out there anymore but I'm
> trying to give it my best shot.
>
> A couple of years ago I came across a website that somebody put up
> describing an ultimate RISC or MISC processor they were developing.
> One of their goals was to be able to run LINUX on it. Was having a
> conversation with of friend of mine that made me think of this and I
> wondered if they ever achieved their goal.
>
> I think his processor had 16 different instructions and they had
> implemented it using an FPGA.
>
> Does this sound familair to anybody?

It sounds a little mangled to me ?
~16 instruction cores have been discussed, but they are at the
educational end of the spectrum, rather than Linux capable.

Antti may be along shortly to add more ;)

-jg
From: jacko on
On 22 Feb, 00:45, Derek Simmons <dereks...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize what I'm looking for might not be out there anymore but I'm
> trying to give it my best shot.
>
> A couple of years ago I came across a website that somebody put up
> describing an ultimate RISC or MISC processor they were developing.
> One of their goals was to be able to run LINUX on it. Was having a
> conversation with of friend of mine that made me think of this and I
> wondered if they ever achieved their goal.
>
> I think his processor had 16 different instructions and they had
> implemented it using an FPGA.
>
> Does this sound familair to anybody?
>
> Thanks,
> Derek

Can't think of it, the linux thing. Doing processor design myself, but
not interested in booting linux as a primary goal. Getting a boot
loader written to load flash into the 128K memory is my goal. Then
filling the boot sectors of the flash. I think after a little bit of
thought, I will get the on chip flash to be twice as effective almost,
by not using the MSB of the 16 bit word. But that's another day.

cheers jacko

http://nibz.nibzx.co.uk