From: Al Dykes on
Having just upgraded to 64 bit Windows 7, I'm looking for scanning
software to replace the very old version of CanoScan Toolbox. I can
live without the OCR function.

I've got a Canon LIDE30 scanner. It's fine for my needs.

Thanks
--
Al Dykes

From: GSalisbury on

"Al Dykes" <adykes(a)panix.com> wrote in message
> Having just upgraded to 64 bit Windows 7, I'm looking for scanning
> software to replace the very old version of CanoScan Toolbox. I can
> live without the OCR function.
>
> I've got a Canon LIDE30 scanner. It's fine for my needs.
>

> Thanks
> --
> Al Dykes
> News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
> advertising.
> - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

I can't resist...
Did you even try putting your Subject: "free scanner application" into a
google search?
There's gobs of hits!
VueScan, for example, is well thought of.
--
Geo. Salisbury
Long Valley, NJ

From: Raymond Daley on

"GSalisbury" <invalid.salsburyg(a)comcast.net.invalid> wrote in message

> VueScan, for example, is well thought of.

By you perhaps. Vuescan is a POS that does nothing unless you pay for it.
Its "freeware" version is completely useless as it watermarks all scans
done.

From: Jethro Pull on
On 5/7/2010 10:09 AM, Raymond Daley wrote:
> "GSalisbury"<invalid.salsburyg(a)comcast.net.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> VueScan, for example, is well thought of.
>>
> By you perhaps. Vuescan is a POS that does nothing unless you pay for it.
> Its "freeware" version is completely useless as it watermarks all scans
> done.

I just built a Win7 64bit computer and used a Nikon CoolScan 5000 ED.
This great scanner which originally cost me about $2,500 including the
SF-210 slide feeder, was a brick.

Heard about VueScan in this forum, tried it and it worked which is to
day it had drivers for my operating system and scanner. I had a dumb
user-generated error using the scanner and sent an E-mail to Ed Hamrick
that he answered within 24 hours. I had not seated the feeder all the
way into the scanner device ... i.e., it was not a VueScan issue.

Hamrick's knowledge about all the scanning devices his application
supports (even Windows 7-64 bit) is worth paying for. I love "free".
It's my favorite four letter word, but you have to pay developers when
they solve important issues, especially when they provide personal,
timely help.

VueScan is, in my opinion, an awesome application.
From: Barry Watzman on
Although it's a very good program and relatively inexpensive, VueScan IS
NOT FREE.