From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Rosa" <Rosa(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I want to completely switch from my web based email, to an excellent
> "client" based email program, with the emphasis on "client" based, not
> internet/web based email.

All e-mail is "internet-based". You need to have a mail server on a network
somewhere.

> With Microsoft, it appears I have two choices, Outlook, or Outlook Express.

Actually, there's also Windows Live Mail, which is like Outlook Express in its
operation. With a Windows Live account, you also get a calendar.

> I'm simply looking
> for the best darn client based email program that exists, whether it's free,
> or, I have to pay for it.

There is no such thing, any more than saying that you want the "best darned
piece of pie." It depends on your individual needs and desires. Many people
love Thunderbird, some think Pegasus Mail is great, others swear by Eudora.

> So, between Outlook and Outlook Express, what are the pros and cons about
> one versus the other?

Outlook Express doesn't work on any version of Windows after XP. Outlook
does. OE doesn't have a calendar, tasks, a journal, or notes. Outlook does.
It's a full-fledged PIM (Personal Information Manager). OE can't sync with
handheld devices. Outlook can, often (but not always - it depends on the
device and the device's vendor).

> Please don't waste your time or mine tellilng me about the stuff I've stated
> I'm not interested in. Simply want to compare Outlook vs Outlook Express's
> email program and how either will serve me best.

OE is a simpler program.

> 1 - I will want to set up a minimum of three email addreses, for business
> and personal uses.

Both will do this.

> 2 - Will need an address/conact book that can handle the details of each
> contact.

Either will do this, but I think Outlook is more comprehensive for this.

> 3 - Will need to back-up the emails and contact data fairly easily so if my
> hard drives crash or the program becomes corrupt somehow I have my info that
> can be quickly, easily and confidently restored to the email program for
> easy
> "up and running use again".

Easily done for either.

> 4 - Must have reputable security in place.

Both do, but in my opinion, Outlook is somewhat more secure.

> 5 - Must be able to handle allot of daily email to each email address where
> I can separate, sort, and organize the incoming and outgoing email in a
> manner I choose, such as a tree lilke structure with folders I choose to set
> up and arrange.

Either

> 6 - Must have "average or above" email formatting abilities, with the
> ability to add attachments of "most all"common types.

I have no idea what you mean by "average or above", since you don't state a
baseline. Either allows attachments of any kind. Nearly any mail client
will. As for message formatting itself, my opinion is that Outlook can do a
better job, but either is probably "good enough".

> Outlook or Outlook Express? For EMAIL PURPOSES. One or the other, Why vs
> Why Not?

You're comparing apples and oranges. Since much of what Outlook can do
doesn't involve mail, not allowing people to compare the entire programs is
like asking people "which is better, Notepad or Word?" Outlook is designed to
do more than handle mail. If you don't need the things it can do that don't
involve mail, why it in the comparison at all?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> I was hoping that somebody at this forum was going to be able to present the
> "facts", the "pros & cons"

That requires the people in this forum to use both programs and be familiar
with both programs. The people here are Outlook users, and, in general NOT
Outlook Express users. Asking "which is better, Outlook Express or Outlook"
here is like asking us to compare e-mail and heart surgery. Sure, someone in
the group may be a cardiologist and be able to give you guidance, but how
likely is it?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Russ Valentine on
Not very.
--
Russ Valentine

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:49:01 -0800, Rosa
<Rosa(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to provide me with some insight.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> Answer-3, In my original post, I stated I was not interested in any form or
> internet based, or web-based email. You suggested "Windows Live Mail". Is
> that "client" based, or an "internet/web based" email set up?

Windows Live Mail is not web-based. It's an E-mail client. It's
essentially just the latest version of Outlook Express, with a new and
very different name.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Rosa on
Hi Sam,

Very concise and helpful. Thank you very much.

I'll look into your first choice.

very best,

Rosa

"eam" wrote:

> [...]
> > I.E. calendar, scheduling, and whatever may be available. I'm simply looking
> > for the best darn client based email program that exists, whether it's free,
> > or, I have to pay for it.
> >
> > So, between Outlook and Outlook Express, what are the pros and cons about
> > one versus the other?
> >
> > Please don't waste your time or mine tellilng me about the stuff I've stated
> > I'm not interested in. Simply want to compare Outlook vs Outlook Express's
> > email program and how either will serve me best.
> >
> > My needs:
> >
> > 1 - I will want to set up a minimum of three email addreses, for business
> > and personal uses.
> >
> > 2 - Will need an address/conact book that can handle the details of each
> > contact.
> >
> > 3 - Will need to back-up the emails and contact data fairly easily so if my
> > hard drives crash or the program becomes corrupt somehow I have my info that
> > can be quickly, easily and confidently restored to the email program for easy
> > "up and running use again".
> >
> > 4 - Must have reputable security in place.
> >
> > 5 - Must be able to handle allot of daily email to each email address where
> > I can separate, sort, and organize the incoming and outgoing email in a
> > manner I choose, such as a tree lilke structure with folders I choose to set
> > up and arrange.
> >
> > 6 - Must have "average or above" email formatting abilities, with the
> > ability to add attachments of "most all"common types.
> >

> > Again, please don't waste anybody's time with stuff that's not relevant to
> > my question.
> >
> > Outlook or Outlook Express? For EMAIL PURPOSES. One or the other, Why vs
> > Why Not?
> >
> > After all, successful business is about making things simpler, not more
> > complicated, when it comes to getting the job at hand done! Email that is.
> >
> > Thanks for any help with info that will help me make my decision when it
> > comes to Outlook vs Outlook Express.
> >
> > best to all,
> >
> > Roas
> Hi Rosa,
> Following in order my favorites:
> Mozilla Thunderbird
> Microsoft Outlook 2010
> Zimbra Desktop
> The Bat!
> Windows Live Mail
>
> I now use Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.3 with:
> 1 GMail account
> 4 Google Apps Business accounts
> 1 Microsoft Live account
> 1 GMX account (pop3 for testing)
> 1 Usenet account
> 37 RSS
> 1 Calendar fully synchronized with Google Calendar (personal)
> 2 Calendars fully synchronized with Google Apps Calendar (business)
> 1 Google Contacts full sync with Personal Address Book
> 1 Google Contacts full sync with Business Address Book
>
> I am a network engineer and I have an IT company, I can even remote
> connect and help you with the configuration you prefer.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: cannot save logo to e mail signature
Next: "FaxExtension"