From: akspa on
I'm looking for the windows nt C runtime library source code. I'm not
looking for the lib file, but the actual source code for the library
itself, specifically for the Windows NT platform.

I'm also looking for any other source code from Windows NT, NTOS, and NT OS/2.

Anyone have any pieces of code like this?

From: David Craig on
What is the "Windows NT C runtime"? Some distributions of Windows include
some versions of the DLLs that implement the DLL based runtime library for
some versions of the Visual C/C++ and Visual Studio C/C++ compilers. Most
of the purchased Visual Studio versions include some of the RTL code in
source. In some installers it is not installed unless requested.

From: akspa on
On 2009-12-23 22:30:00 -0500, "David Craig" <drivers(a)noemail.noemail> said:

> What is the "Windows NT C runtime"? Some distributions of Windows include
> some versions of the DLLs that implement the DLL based runtime library for
> some versions of the Visual C/C++ and Visual Studio C/C++ compilers. Most
> of the purchased Visual Studio versions include some of the RTL code in
> source. In some installers it is not installed unless requested.
>
> "akspa" <a.spamcatcher(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for the windows nt C runtime library source code. I'm not
>> looking for the lib file, but the actual source code for the library
>> itself, specifically for the Windows NT platform.
>>
>> I'm also looking for any other source code from Windows NT, NTOS, and NT
>> OS/2.
>>
>> Anyone have any pieces of code like this?

The compiled form of the source code I'm looking for is ntcrt.lib. I'm
looking for the source code that was used to build ntcrt.lib. The dll
is even more useless to me :(

Current versions of this library in a compiled dll are usually called
msvcrt. I'm looking for earlier non-visual c-based versions, as well as
the source code for just the Microsoft C runtime. It doesn't seem to be
an easy thing to find.

-Akspa

From: David Craig on
There is no ntcrt.lib on my XP Pro system. There are several versions of
msvcrt, msvcrt20, & msvcrt40 in the Windows directory. I don't think the
CRT source code comes with any of the free versions of Visual Studio. I
have several Visual Studio C/C++ compilers. Most have the CRT source
available, but I believe that a couple of versions did not ship with it. I
think one or two were available as separate downloads in the past. Recent
RTL dlls were done with the SxS (side by side) and reside in the
application's program files subdirectory.

Do note that not all source code is available which I believe is due to
licensing restrictions. I understand that most of this concerns the
floating point libraries but others may also be involved. Some of the code
is C and there are a lot of ASM files too. Some of the functions in that
code can be replaced by inline code generated by the compiler if requested.

I guess the only question left is what do you want it for. Note it does
have restrictions on how it can be used and is copyright protected.

From: Jochen Kalmbach [MVP] on
Hi akspa!

> I'm looking for the windows nt C runtime library source code. I'm not
> looking for the lib file, but the actual source code for the library
> itself, specifically for the Windows NT platform.

The source-code for the CRT (C Runtime) from VS can be found in the
directory
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\crt\src
if you have Visual Studio (completely) installed (at least the standard
version).

> I'm also looking for any other source code from Windows NT, NTOS, and NT
> OS/2.

Very good question...
If you are a student or professor, you can get access to the windows
source code via Code-Center-Premium.
For more info see:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/ccp.mspx

> Anyone have any pieces of code like this?

Yes ;)

--
Greetings
Jochen