From: Sethu on
I went through the following page about installing just checked build OS and
HAL for Windows 7, as it stated for Vista and later
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc835892.aspx

I cant find HAL SourceFileName from "%SystemRoot%\Inf\setuppapi.dev.log"
file as hal.dll is not available

I had halacpi.dll and halmacpi.dll file available in WDK i386 debug
directory, these file names are not present on the log file(!)

I just went on and used halmacpi.dll file as the HAL source file (as my
target system is multiprocessor) and updated the boot entry as well, as less
expected the system failed to boot and gone for a system repair

I tried the other hal file also, the results are the same

How to get the correct HAL source file for Windows 7?
From: Don Burn on
Have you tried in explorer right clicking hal.dll and choosing properties,
then under the version tab checking original file name? I've done this ons
systems through Vista, but not on Win7 to get the name?

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4715 (20091224) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
Am I wrong that Vista+ Windows has 1 and only 1 HAL (halmacpi)?

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

From: Scott Noone on
Did you also use the checked kernel? The kernel and HAL need to match, so
they either need to both be free or both be checked.

-scott

--
Scott Noone
Consulting Associate

From: Sethu on

I checked the halmacpi.dll version (6.1.7600.16385) and original file name
(same name).

If halmacpi.dll is the HAL file for the multiprocessor system then why it is
not logged in setuppapi.dev.log file?

Yeah Scott, I used kernel and HAL files together