From: RockCounter on
I am using Excel 2007. I need to match an alpha numeric value from one
workbook with the same alpha numeric in a different workbook and have the
formula return the data in the cell adjacent (right side) to the matched
cell. The data in the second workbook will be in a different row each time I
run it, but the column will be the same. The alpha numeric character to look
up is in Column D. The data I want to show up is in Column E. Here is an
example:

Data to match: "43005.60 Total"

I want to go to the second workbook, look for "43005.60 Total" (Column D)
and have it give me the $$$ that are shown in Column E.

To make matters more complicated, the files are on different network drives
and the formulas need to be dummy proof for multiple beginning Excel users.

I am hoping one of the brilliant forum members here can help me out. You
all seem to know everything about Excel!
From: Bernard Liengme on
Have a look in help at VLOOKUP
See also
http://spreadsheets.about.com/od/excelfunctions/ss/90320vlookup.htm
http://www.timeatlas.com/5_Minute_Tips/General/Learning_VLOOKUP_in_Excel
Then come back if more help is needed
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: RockCounter on
Thanks for the links. I've tried Vlookup, lookup, index/match. They all
return "#N/A." Here's the formula I'm trying. Maybe you can see something
amiss in the formula?

=VLOOKUP(E10,'[01-10 Matthews Recycling Plant
MOCR.xls]Tally'!$A$1:$M$1000,FALSE)

Where E10 is the alpha numeric, and $A$!:$m$1000 is the range to be searched
on the external workbook.

From: RockCounter on
As a follow up - does it matter that my data I'm trying to match is not in
Column A?

From: RockCounter on
Edited the formula previously posted. Still getting #n/a even though I know
there should be a match.