From: RNW on
XP Pro SP3, Thinkpad T60, set up for using Offline Files

Multiple users in my small office have this same problem:
When working in the office, network connection [not wireless] to file server
is lost, and computer is kicked to Offline Files. Internet connection (and
connection to Exchange server which is hosted offsite) is not lost. User must
sync Offline Files to access file server directly (or print, since file
server is also print server). All computers don't get kicked to Offline Files
at the same time. I'm not sure when problem started, but doesn't seem
specific to this computer model; may have started after an update?

I'm thinking that the problem may be be specific to Offline Files and not to
any network issue?

Anyone else have this problem?
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
When you lost the connection. can you ping the server? Also any errors in
the event viewer?

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?Uk5X?= <RNW(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> XP Pro SP3, Thinkpad T60, set up for using Offline Files
>
> Multiple users in my small office have this same problem:
> When working in the office, network connection [not wireless] to
> file server is lost, and computer is kicked to Offline Files.
> Internet connection (and connection to Exchange server which is
> hosted offsite) is not lost. User must sync Offline Files to
> access file server directly (or print, since file server is also
> print server). All computers don't get kicked to Offline Files at
> the same time. I'm not sure when problem started, but doesn't seem
> specific to this computer model; may have started after an update?
>
> I'm thinking that the problem may be be specific to Offline Files
> and not to any network issue?
>
> Anyone else have this problem?

What kind of computer is your "file server"?
Windows XP Pro allow a maximim of 10 simultaneous connections
Windows XP Home allows a maximim of 5 simultaneous connections.

"Inbound connections limit in Windows XP"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882>

HTH,
John
From: Anteaus on