From: feurio on
Please, can anyone help me to set up a network?
I have 3 computers that I'd like to network.

1. Desktop 1 (connected to a wireless gateway with a network cable)
2. Desktop 2 (connected wirelessly)
3. Laptop ( connected wirelessly)
3. Desktop 2 and Laptop are also connected to each other with 5e patch
cable.

I'd like my Desktop 2 to be able to communicate with Laptop ( move files
back and forth). I'd also like my Laptop to have access to my multiple
external hard drives connected to Desktop 2.

All I have right now is "Limited or no connectivity"

Please help or direct to a source that can help.

Thanks a lot in advance!

From: feurio on

"feurio" <feurio(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Please, can anyone help me to set up a network?
> I have 3 computers that I'd like to network.
>
> 1. Desktop 1 (connected to a wireless gateway with a network cable)
> 2. Desktop 2 (connected wirelessly)
> 3. Laptop ( connected wirelessly)
> 3. Desktop 2 and Laptop are also connected to each other with 5e patch
> cable.
>
> I'd like my Desktop 2 to be able to communicate with Laptop ( move files
> back and forth). I'd also like my Laptop to have access to my multiple
> external hard drives connected to Desktop 2.
>
> All I have right now is "Limited or no connectivity"
>
> Please help or direct to a source that can help.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!

Update:

Turns out I can access my files between Desktop 2 and Laptop wirelessly.
Haven't tried it with Deskop 1 yet. However, my LAN status is still
"Limited to No Connectivity"

From: James Egan on

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:54:31 -0600, "feurio" <feurio(a)sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Please, can anyone help me to set up a network?
>I have 3 computers that I'd like to network.
>
>1. Desktop 1 (connected to a wireless gateway with a network cable)
>2. Desktop 2 (connected wirelessly)
>3. Laptop ( connected wirelessly)
>3. Desktop 2 and Laptop are also connected to each other with 5e patch
>cable.
>
>I'd like my Desktop 2 to be able to communicate with Laptop ( move files
>back and forth). I'd also like my Laptop to have access to my multiple
>external hard drives connected to Desktop 2.
>
>All I have right now is "Limited or no connectivity"

Remove the cable between desk2 and laptop and disable the wired
adaptors on these machines which aren't required. Wired interfaces
take preference over wireless if both are enabled and it's probably
this which is causing your connectivity problem.

Jim.

From: Jim on
MVP Jack's website has excellent advice..

Assuming that "wireless gateway" means a combined modem and router...

Setup the router to act as a DHCP server (not strictly necessary for such a
small network). Setup the router to use at least AES encryption for the
wireless signals.

Execute Network Setup Wizard on Desktop 1. Make certain that you have
enabled use of the router as a the source for DHCP. Make sure that you have
enabled file and printer sharing through the Windows firewall. Make a copy
of these settings on a flash drive during the use of the Network Setup
Wizard.

Execute the program on the flash drive on all other machines.

Test the network with the ping program before proceeding. If you cannot
ping remote computers, post the results of ipconfig/all on all computers.

It is up to you to decide which resources you need to share and which
computers can access these resources. I used the "net share" commands and
the "net use" commands. It is simpler to create identical usernames and
passwords on all computers. Remember that the "net use" command actually
logs into the remote computer. Any errors come from the remote one.

Jim

Setup the wireless connections with the Windows Zero Configuration facility.

From: Pavel A. on
"Limited to No Connectivity" means that your computer does not receive the
IP address from the router (that should be set up as DHCP server).

lso, if you want to connect Desktop 2 and Laptop with a wire, better use a
hub.
Modern gigabit netcards have a problem to auto negotiate with a direct cable
connection.
This can be solved by setting link speed manually, but still better is to
use a hub, or maybe a special USB cable.

--pa