From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
I do not know the reason for the extra connection between the Desktop and
the Laptop.
Configuring Direct access on top of regular Network is not advisable unless
you know how to configure a Bridged connection.
You are better Off connecting every thing through the Wireless Router and
configure correctly the File sharing.
Firewall instructions.
Windows 7 Work Network,
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windows7/windows7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing
XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing
XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Sharing between Windows XP and Mac -
http://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web-resources/mac-pc-file-share.asp
When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: feurio on
Hi Jack,

Thanks a lot for your response.
I have a 2WIRE wireless gateway/access point that combines a router and a
modem. It also has a hardware firewall. I don't have any probems with the
wireless access -- so far.
I'm looking for a USB bridge cable now.