From: PeoplesChoice on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:16:55 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: <PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net>
>
>| Lately, I have been losing some of my data. The two cases I've found so
>| far are: iPod addresses and Photos. In both cases, only some of the
>| data is missing (specific line items). Any ideas what might be causing
>| this?
>
>My belief -- something YOU are doing.
>
>Sorry if that sounds harsh.

It doesn't bother me if it's my fault - I just want to kno what caused
this issue. Can you give me the options that might have cause this
problem so I can sort through them? It's a very odd situation.
From: PeoplesChoice on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:16:55 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: <PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net>
>
>| Lately, I have been losing some of my data. The two cases I've found so
>| far are: iPod addresses and Photos. In both cases, only some of the
>| data is missing (specific line items). Any ideas what might be causing
>| this?
>
>My belief -- something YOU are doing.
>
>Sorry if that sounds harsh.

David, I have a lot of respect for your abilities. But I'm not a novice
myself. I've been thinking and I can't imagine a scenario where I could
have deleted those files myself. Please prove me wrong!
From: Dustin on
PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote in

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:59:27 GMT, Dustin
> <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote in
>>
>>> Lately, I have been losing some of my data. The two cases I've
>>> found so far are: iPod addresses and Photos. In both cases, only
>>> some of the data is missing (specific line items). Any ideas what
>>> might be causing this?
>>>

>>Have you checked the hard drive for possible errors?
>
> That's a great question!!! But I tell you - the only app I know of
> is CHKDSK. All the rest, I've been advised to stay away from. Do
> you know of a reliable app to check the disk? Thank you.........

has chkdsk /f reported any problems? Have you checked your ram? Snag a
copy of memtest pending chkdsk comes back with no errors and test your
ram.

Is your hard disk IDE or sata?

--
"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike
your Christ." - author unknown.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: <PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net>

| On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:16:55 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>From: <PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net>

>>| Lately, I have been losing some of my data. The two cases I've found so
>>| far are: iPod addresses and Photos. In both cases, only some of the
>>| data is missing (specific line items). Any ideas what might be causing
>>| this?

>>My belief -- something YOU are doing.

>>Sorry if that sounds harsh.

| David, I have a lot of respect for your abilities. But I'm not a novice
| myself. I've been thinking and I can't imagine a scenario where I could
| have deleted those files myself. Please prove me wrong!

I can't envision a scenario that malware would SPECIFICALLY target "iPod addresses and
Photos".

I have many users and often they "think" they have lost data. However it is usually a
case that the data is not lost but is in a place they are not cognizant of. Often they
rely on shortcuts and pointers to the data and never actually know where those and
pointers to the data actually point to. That is they rely on something that points to the
data but do not actually know where the data physically is stored.

While there is malware that is malicious in its action against one's data, they are less
common than malicious software that acts for monetary gain or against another. You have
not shown any proof that malware exists on the PC that would act specifically against
data.

--
Dave

From: CLicker on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 06:25:58 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: <PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net>
>
>| On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:16:55 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
>| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>>From: <PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net>

>>>My belief -- something YOU are doing.
>
>>>Sorry if that sounds harsh.
>
>| David, I have a lot of respect for your abilities. But I'm not a novice
>| myself. I've been thinking and I can't imagine a scenario where I could
>| have deleted those files myself. Please prove me wrong!
>
>I can't envision a scenario that malware would SPECIFICALLY target "iPod addresses and
>Photos".
>
>I have many users and often they "think" they have lost data. However it is usually a
>case that the data is not lost but is in a place they are not cognizant of. Often they
>rely on shortcuts and pointers to the data and never actually know where those and
>pointers to the data actually point to. That is they rely on something that points to the
>data but do not actually know where the data physically is stored.
>
>While there is malware that is malicious in its action against one's data, they are less
>common than malicious software that acts for monetary gain or against another. You have
>not shown any proof that malware exists on the PC that would act specifically against
>data.

Some problems I run into occasionally using:
wireless KBs with built in touch pad rather than mouse
single click rather than double
highlight (select) by hover

Merely moving the pointer sometimes behaves like a drag and a file or
folder drags along with it. Fortunately, even when this escapes my
attention while happening, I know how to search for files and folders
to restore their proper location when their absence is noted.

I'm presently using Win7, but this behavior is consistent with my
personal use of XP earlier.

The other half of the household uses a wireless mouse affixed to a
laptop (also with touchpad embedded) and sometimes experiences similar
file misallocation but I've not been able to discern what actions she
might have taken to cause it. I suspect the left hand not knowing
what the right is doing ;-0) I should probably disable her built in
touchpad.