From: Jim Macklin on
Contact HP for replacements. www.hp.com

"Ian Smith" <ismithnospam(a)wncinc.com> wrote in message
|I am fixing a broken laptop for a friend. Had to replace
the hard disk, and
| she has no idea where the CD's are.
|
| I tried to install from my own retail XP Home disc, using
the product key

From: kurttrail on
Ian Smith wrote:
> I am fixing a broken laptop for a friend. Had to replace the hard
> disk, and she has no idea where the CD's are.
>
> I tried to install from my own retail XP Home disc, using the product
> key from her sticker, but it wouldn't take it.
>
> Must I buy a whole new license for the machine?
>
> Laptop is an HP ze5240.

Borrow a gerenic OEM CD from a friend, and use her key.

--
Peace!
Kurt

From: Bob I on
In this case they would be better off getting the "HP restore CD" for
the laptop. A generic OEM will likely not contain all the necessary drivers.

From: kurttrail on
Bob I wrote:
> In this case they would be better off getting the "HP restore CD" for
> the laptop. A generic OEM will likely not contain all the necessary
> drivers.
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>> Ian Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I am fixing a broken laptop for a friend. Had to replace the hard
>>> disk, and she has no idea where the CD's are.
>>>
>>> I tried to install from my own retail XP Home disc, using the
>>> product key from her sticker, but it wouldn't take it.
>>>
>>> Must I buy a whole new license for the machine?
>>>
>>> Laptop is an HP ze5240.
>>>

>> Borrow a gerenic OEM CD from a friend, and use her key.

Sure, they can wait. But God helps those that help themselves and
others. :)

And just so there is no confusion, I ain't talking about Billy G. ;-)

From: Curmudgeon on
Carey wrote:

"If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll h­ave
to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat th­e
drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP i­s
reinstalled. "

Umm... you've not changed in three years dude - despite somehow earning
the title "MVP. The OP _CLEARLY_ stated that he had to change the hard
drive.

It's hard to do the recovery you're talking about when the drive is
bare, don'tcha know!