From: KHemmelman on
We got in some brand new computers and are dropping our ghost image clone to
these computers. (We've used these clones hundreds of times.) However, on
the new computers, after the clone drops and we reboot the pc, the computer
gets stuck in a "rebooting loop" and never comes up. It reboots before you
see any Windows XP startup info like the logo screen, etc. There is also no
blue screen message either. It simply reboots during the 'black' screen when
starting up.

We're guessing something is different in hardware on the new pc and are
hopeful there is something we can do to our ghost image clone to "update" it
so it will work on the new computers. Does anyone have any ideas on what we
might try?
From: KHemmelman on
I guess I don't know why my display name is messed up. It should say
"KHemmelman".

I just thought of some additional info. The new computers came with SATA
hard drives. Perhaps there is something we need to add into the registry of
our old computers or clones so this new controller is detected?
From: Yves Leclerc on
SATA drivers, if not an Intel controller, are not automatcially in XP. You
may have to do a re-install of XP to fix this.

From: RA on
Putting an old clone on new and different hardware isn't really a good idea
and can sometimes be difficult to impossible. The components are different,
the drivers are different etc. You should build a new image using one of
your new machines. It doesn't take that long to do and then your image will
work perfectly with all your new machines.

From: KHemmelman on
Actually it does take a long time to do this. We have many versions of
clones for many different entities within our organization and with many
different models of computers in each entity we would end up with an enormous
number of clones we would have to maintain.

We had previously ran into an issue referencing a similiar situation in MS
KB Article 314082. The fix recommended in that article took care of that
issue and we've cloned old pc's to new hardware a large number of times using
this fix. The drivers get redetected and reloaded when the new pc starts up,
so I don't know that it's a problem. It may not be ideal, but the
alternative of designing new clones for each hardware revision is just not a
workable situation.

After playing around a bit more, we have gotten it to give the BSOD instead
of just rebooting. The code on the BSOD is:

STOP 0X0000007B (0XF78AE640, 0XC00000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I'm searching MS KB articles in the hopes that I can find some helpful info.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Stuck in the reboot loop.
Next: Lost OEM Media