From: KHemmelman on
I thought I would post a followup message for others to reference in the
event they run into the same thing.

We had run into a similiar problem in the past and there is a MS KB Article
that provided a solution to that problem. That article is:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314082

This article references moving XP to a new system and getting the following
stop code when starting up the new pc:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF741B84C,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

There is a mergeide.reg file at this KB article that you can run on the old
pc before cloning/moving it to the new pc. The reg file adds info about
hardware back into the registry and when the new pc starts up, it 'knows'
about this hardware and doesn't bomb when it sees those devices.

However, this time around, we got a slightly different stop code on the
BSOD, but it was pretty much an identical situation.

STOP 0X0000007B (0XF78AE640, 0XC00000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

We've believe we have fixed our problem by adding additional hardware info
into the reg file from the KB article. The new computer we were having
problems with uses an Intel 82801 FB/FW ICH6/ICH6W SATA Controller. We added
the device id for this controller (and additional Intel controllers) into the
reg file following the same syntax in the reg file for the Intel devices and
then our disk to disk clone from an old pc to this new pc worked fine.
Obviously if others try this do it at your own risk, but since MS had
previously released a KB article with a fix, I'm guessing we are on the right
track with the solution. As an FYI, the Intel devices in this reg file from
Microsoft are Vendor 8086.

From: NoneOfBusiness on
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:45:15 -0600, "RA" <none> wrote:

>Putting an old clone on new and different hardware isn't really a good idea
>and can sometimes be difficult to impossible. The components are different,
>the drivers are different etc. You should build a new image using one of
>your new machines. It doesn't take that long to do and then your image will
>work perfectly with all your new machines.
>

>"KHemmelman" <KHemmelman(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> We got in some brand new computers and are dropping our ghost image clone
>> these computers. (We've used these clones hundreds of times.) However,
>on
>> the new computers, after the clone drops and we reboot the pc, the
>computer
>> gets stuck in a "rebooting loop" and never comes up. It reboots before
>you
>> see any Windows XP startup info like the logo screen, etc. There is also
>no
>> blue screen message either. It simply reboots during the 'black' screen
>when
>> starting up.
>>
>> We're guessing something is different in hardware on the new pc and are
>> hopeful there is something we can do to our ghost image clone to "update"
>it
>> so it will work on the new computers. Does anyone have any ideas on what
>we
>> might try?

or you can add your drivers to the old install and reimage. Dell
inlcudes all sorts of drivers installed in their images which are not
necessarily installed on the pc.. (Optiplex GX260 with SCSI raid
drivers? )

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Stuck in the reboot loop.