From: Ian Smith on
I am fixing a broken laptop for a friend. Had to replace the hard disk, and
she has no idea where the CD's are.

I tried to install from my own retail XP Home disc, using the product key
from her sticker, but it wouldn't take it.

Must I buy a whole new license for the machine?

Laptop is an HP ze5240.
From: DJ Borell on
You cannot use an OEM key with retail media. Your only options are to
purchase a retail version of XP or find someone that will lend you an OEM
copy for the install.

From: R. McCarty on
You'll have to contact HP. A Retail XP Home Disk won't accept
the Key of an OEM install disk. I don't have 1st hand knowledge
on HP notebook restorations, but it's likely a Hidden partition on
the drive that you replaced.
Is the drive totally non-functional ? If not, you can get a inexpensive
IDE adapter that allows you install a notebook (2.5") drive into a
desktop. Once installed you could have the capability to image or
backup data from it to CD/DVD recordable media.
Otherwise, you'll have to negotiate with HP. I seem to remember
that replacement Restore media from HP has cost involved, unless
the PC still has some warranty time remaining.

From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
information.

Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
recovery operation.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll h­ave
to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat th­e
drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP i­s
reinstalled.