From: Ben C on
On 2009-11-21, dorayme <doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> I don't know what point he was making,
>
> A bit less than 100% for Verdana is less of a problem than for many
> other fonts. So it is not quite true that the very same problem exists
> for *any* font. One notable problem, perhaps the only real one, is that
> if you set a font-size for Verdana less than 100% and someone does not
> have Verdana on their machine, they will probably get a font that is
> naturally smaller than Verdana and so less than 100% can *more* easily
> trip them into having reading difficulties.
>
> Let's put this in another way: There *are* problems with all texts set
> too small to read - obviously! It is a constant phenomenon and does not
> depend on Verdana being in the equation at all. But if Verdana is in the
> equation, then there is a particular danger because Verdana is not only
> a bit bigger to start with than many other fonts but is also a bit
> better designed to be read at smaller sizes than some other fonts. If
> Verdana is in the author's mind when setting a size less than 100%, he
> is likely not imagining or testing for when some other naturally smaller
> font is fell back upon when the user does not have Verdana.
>
> In other words, to put it simply, there is a special sort of problem
> with Verdana.
>
> So too with the CO2 being produced on earth lately. It has not been a
> problem for billions of years. But it is now. In a particular situation,
> it is a problem. Never mind some very narrow technical definition of
> "poison", it is a very bad gas to have in some quantities for many
> living things in certain circumstances. That it is not a bad gas in
> other "normal" situations does not change this fact. Pointing out that
> it is not bad normally might well distract people from the fact that in
> some special circumstances it is very bad. Pointing out that all text
> that is less than 100% is a problem could similarly distract from what
> is particularly pertinent to the problem with Verdana.

I see, I think I follow the logic.

Verdana is rather big which makes setting small font sizes even worse
than it would be in a world without Verdana.

We're all doomed because of global warming, so that makes CO2 even worse
than it would be in a world without global warming.

Just saying small fonts are bad is like saying CO2 is bad-- neither is
bad per se, well not that bad anyway (small fonts are probably worse
than CO2 on their own merits)-- but this distracts from the contexts
that make them really bad in practice: Verdana and the Apocalypse.
From: dorayme on
In article <slrnhgfthn.47j.spamspam(a)bowser.marioworld>,
Ben C <spamspam(a)spam.eggs> wrote:

> On 2009-11-21, dorayme <doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> >> I don't know what point he was making,
> >
> > [...fast talking ...]

> I see, I think I follow the logic.

I do admit that the sudden leaps my brain makes sometimes require
serious post-leap fast-talking to justify. My brain seems not to
understand that analogies are best made clear and transparent and
helpful rather than convoluted and opaque to outsiders.

> Verdana is rather big which makes setting small font sizes even worse
> than it would be in a world without Verdana.
>
> We're all doomed because of global warming, so that makes CO2 even worse
> than it would be in a world without global warming.
>
> Just saying small fonts are bad is like saying CO2 is bad-- neither is
> bad per se, well not that bad anyway (small fonts are probably worse
> than CO2 on their own merits)-- but this distracts from the contexts
> that make them really bad in practice: Verdana and the Apocalypse.

It brings a little tear to my eye how you can understand me - yes,
Verdana and the Apocalypse is at the heart of the matter. I might have
to hire you from now on for my communications with earthlings.

--
dorayme