From: kbergros on
Hi!

I'm having a problem that really disturb me.....
I get on 2 of my windows 2003 memberservers a logentry twice a day
saying the following:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: LSASRV
Event Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)
Event ID: 40960
Date: 2006-05-21
Time: 03:43:47
User: N/A
Computer: gimli
The Security System detected an authentication error for the server
ldap/gollum.test.timber.se/test.timber.se(a)test.timber.se. The failure
code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "The attempted logon is
invalid. This is either due to a bad username or authentication information.
(0xc000006d)".

I checked everything according to DNS entries and everything looks OK.
I have followed the suggestions on Event id net, but no luck in solving
this problem.
Before I had a logging that also stated the 40961 event but that logging
has stopped since I upgraded to Service pack 1.

The thing is on my other windows 2003 member servers I don't get this
loggentry.

I have two Domaincontrollers one is Windows 2003 (has all FSMO roles and
the Global catalog) and one is Windows 2000 ((also has the global catalog).

One thing that i can see that the machines that has the error logging
has the 2000 server as logon server... the other ones (without the
problem) has the windows 2003 server as logon server.... can this has
something to do with the error logging?

Regards

Kbergros
From: Ace Fekay [MVP] on
In news:OoTpvXjfGHA.4864(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
kbergros <kbergros(a)hotmail.com> stated, which I commented on below:
> Hi!
>
> I'm having a problem that really disturb me.....
> I get on 2 of my windows 2003 memberservers a logentry twice a day
> saying the following:
>
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: LSASRV
> Event Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)
> Event ID: 40960
> Date: 2006-05-21
> Time: 03:43:47
> User: N/A
> Computer: gimli
> The Security System detected an authentication error for the server
> ldap/gollum.test.timber.se/test.timber.se(a)test.timber.se. The failure
> code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "The attempted logon is
> invalid. This is either due to a bad username or authentication
> information. (0xc000006d)".
>
> I checked everything according to DNS entries and everything looks OK.
> I have followed the suggestions on Event id net, but no luck in
> solving this problem.
> Before I had a logging that also stated the 40961 event but that
> logging has stopped since I upgraded to Service pack 1.
>
> The thing is on my other windows 2003 member servers I don't get this
> loggentry.
>
> I have two Domaincontrollers one is Windows 2003 (has all FSMO roles
> and the Global catalog) and one is Windows 2000 ((also has the global
> catalog).
> One thing that i can see that the machines that has the error logging
> has the 2000 server as logon server... the other ones (without the
> problem) has the windows 2003 server as logon server.... can this has
> something to do with the error logging?
>
> Regards
>
> Kbergros

Usually creating a reverse zone for your subnet(s) and insuring all DCs
(especially the 2003 DCs) have a PTR entry to eliminate this error. On 2003
systems, the SPNEGO, (the SPN identifier) uses the reverse entry to identify
itself, hence "Ego".

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy. - [Me]

From: kbergros on
Hi!

Thanxs for your answer.
I have checked my Dns zones (several times) and all my machines has the
correct ptr entry... I have checked with Nslookup both my forward and
recursive zones and get the correct answer every time...
Any other suggestions on how to solve this?

regards

Kbergros

From: kbergros on
Hi!

From: Ace Fekay [MVP] on
In news:uA%23E6ZKgGHA.5088(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
kbergros <kbergros(a)hotmail.com> stated, which I commented on below:
> Hi!
>
> Thanxs for your answer.
> I have checked my Dns zones (several times) and all my machines has
> the correct ptr entry... I have checked with Nslookup both my forward
> and recursive zones and get the correct answer every time...
> Any other suggestions on how to solve this?
>
> regards
>
> Kbergros

Looking again at your original post, the description part of the error says:

The Security System detected an authentication error for the server
ldap/gollum.test.timber.se/test.timber.se(a)test.timber.se. The failure
code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "The attempted logon is
invalid. This is either due to a bad username or authentication information.
(0xc000006d)".

This indicates to me that you are possibly pointing to your ISP's DNS in IP
properties. Now if AD is trying to coorespond it's SPNEGO by contacting them
for a PTR for the internal IP range, then I can understand why this is
happening.

The cardinal rule is in any AD infrastructure, no matter how small or large,
NEVER use the ISP's DNS in IP properties of ANY machine that is part of AD
(DCs servers and clients). If not sure what I'm talking about, please post
an unedited ipconfig /all to better assist you and we can point out any
problems in your config.

Ace

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3