From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> It is surprising how horribly bad the documentation is.
[...]
> I thought writing a course in using MASM would be easy. It probably would
> be, if there
> were any documentation. Right now, I have to run experiments.

Joe: I'm not sure if this helps, but I found the Art of Assembly Language
book freely available online:

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AoA/DOS/pdf/0_AoAPDF.html

And there is a chapter about MASM here:

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AoA/DOS/pdf/ch08.pdf

Giovanni

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I almost certainly have one in my basement, but this week I am nearly immobilized by pain
(did something to tear a ligament in my leg) so walking downstairs to find it...and
standing while I dug around in the old boxes...wasn't really an option. Maybe after I get
back next week (I'm off for a week of teaching tomorrow) I'll be able to go down and get
it.
joe

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:49:01 -0800, Geoff <geoff(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:33:56 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
><newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote:
>
>>It is surprising how horribly bad the documentation is.
>
>I dug around my bookshelves and finally came up with the MASM book I
>got with my original Windows SDK. (the big blue and white box)
>
>Title: Microsoft Macro Assembler 5.1 Programmer's Guide
>Copyright: 1987
>Document number: 410610014-500-R00-0787
>467 pages.
>
>No bar code, the back has the MS Redmond address and is marked
>1287 Part No. 01506
>
>This was my only reference for it for years. You might find a copy of
>it on amazon.com. The online copies I cited in my other post actually
>get to the nitty gritty a bit more succinctly in the 6.11
>documentation and they are more relevant today.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Tom Serface on
I've had that happen to me as well, but since I've upgraded to Office 2007 I
haven't had any problems (except installing VS 2008 SP1 which won't work
with the Web Designer installed so I had to rename that folder and remove
some registry entries). I'll never get that 5 hours back it took me to
finally get programs to compile on my notebook and run on my desktop with
the same versioning. Although, to be fair, I learned a lot about manifest
and winsxs in the process.

You'd think some of the testing would have included trying a few "other"
products from the same company to ensure that they all play together well.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
But, I can read any documents at all now that I have Office 2007 installed.

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
When MASM was developed, computers barely existed. We had to walk barefoot through the
snow to get our listings...
joe