From: Tropidechis on
I am looking for a plugin or standalone application which sits in the
MIDI stream and displays a graphical rendition of a keyboard which
highlights the notes being played and names the chord that is being
played.

Does such a plugin or application exist?

From: Tropidechis on
On 2010-01-15 13:40:02 +1000, Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> said:

> A quick search with the right keywords turns this up.
>
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Plugins/DH-MIDI-Keyboard.shtml

Thanks

very much for that. It is not exactly what I am after however, as it
does not appear to name the chords being played.

All of the software that I have seen so far is oriented towards being
able to operate as a virtual keyboard in lieu of an actual MIDI
keyboard.

The reason I am after this specific functionality is that I have a
young nephew who has a very good ear and sense of time but doesn't want
(or has a mental block) against learning music theory. I believe that
knowing the names of the chords he is playing would help him a lot in
being able to sit in with others and play.

If my search fails, I am thinking I might write a stand-alone
application application that does what I want, but obviously it would
be a lot quicker to find something which already does the job.

From: Ben Goldman on
Tropidechis wrote:

> On 2010-01-15 13:40:02 +1000, Glennbo
> <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> said:
> > >

> > A quick search with the right keywords turns this up.
> >
> > http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Plugins/DH-MIDI-
> > Keyboard.shtml
>
> Thanks
> >
> very much for that. It is not exactly what I am after however, as it
> does not appear to name the chords being played.
>
> All of the software that I have seen so far is oriented towards being
> able to operate as a virtual keyboard in lieu of an actual MIDI
> keyboard.
>
> The reason I am after this specific functionality is that I have a
> young nephew who has a very good ear and sense of time but doesn't
> want (or has a mental block) against learning music theory. I
> believe that knowing the names of the chords he is playing would help
> him a lot in being able to sit in with others and play.
>
> If my search fails, I am thinking I might write a stand-alone
> application application that does what I want, but obviously it would
> be a lot quicker to find something which already does the job.

A chord dictionary is a very, very good thing to have. I have one for
guitar and one for keys.

--
Cheers,
Ben