From: Ben Goldman on
John Braner wrote:

> this isn't for the faint hearted (playing with boot managers)

I know /that's/ right. ;) The Main Boot Record (MBR) is a vital
section that only wants *one* boss in charge.

I've used Boot Magic - good.
And stock Windows boot manager - plain and very sufficient.
As stated before and many times to come - I love GRUB. <ggg>

I'm happy you've got it going now.

I find total reinstalls quite fulfilling because things get setup nice
and fresh with a much leaner registry. ;)

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: John Braner on
Ben Goldman wrote:
> John Braner wrote:
>
>> this isn't for the faint hearted (playing with boot managers)
>
> I know /that's/ right. ;) The Main Boot Record (MBR) is a vital
> section that only wants *one* boss in charge.
>
> I've used Boot Magic - good.
> And stock Windows boot manager - plain and very sufficient.
> As stated before and many times to come - I love GRUB. <ggg>

Well, then you're no wimp ;-) The main thing is you gotta hide the partitions you're not using, and
the M$ boot loader doesn't do that. The main thing is to not freak out when you make a mistake - and
understand that you *can* get it all back ;-)

> I'm happy you've got it going now.
>
> I find total reinstalls quite fulfilling because things get setup nice
> and fresh with a much leaner registry. ;)

I agree - but I hate having to reinstall and reauthorise everything. And remember all my little
tweaks etc etc....

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: John Braner on
Glennbo wrote:
> The killer robot John Braner <me(a)myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the
> spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> I hope this helps the next person who makes the plunge...
>
> So are the loopz and beetz more neeto in 64 bit? ;)

I've told you before they're *phatter* because they're 64 bits wide. Don't you get it? ;-) As a
matter of fact I'm going to download a 128 bit emulator for the sooperphat sound. It's just like
"analogue". (that's BBC analog)

Plus I'm sure I can hear the extra bits in my beetz. My ears are sensitive to this sort of thing
ever since that firecracker went off next to my face...

The *real* reason for all this is the RAM... ;-)

--
===========

From: Ben Goldman on
Glennbo wrote:

> The killer robot John Braner <me(a)myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of
> the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> > The real reason for all this is the RAM... ;-)
>
> I know, I just like to joke around whenever 64 bit operating systems
> are mentioned because so many people actually do think it's going to
> sound better, or perform faster since it's more bitz. Since the most
> RAM hungry plugin I use is Superior Drummer 2, and using the sounds I
> like the best for it add up to only about a half a gig, I'm not
> getting anywhere close to the 2 gigs of RAM I have available.
> Basically, my DAW ain't broke, so I'm not fixing it. ;)

If mine were broke it would stay broke because I'm broke. har har har
;)

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Ben Goldman on
Glennbo wrote:

> The killer robot "Rick Paul" <rickpaul(a)earthlink.net> grabbed the
> controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> > Of course, whether you can hear the difference
>
> <Ding><Ding><Ding><Ding><Ding>
>
> I've always used my ears to determine sound quality, and never used
> math to do my listening.

If I used math, instead of a B Side, I'd have C and D Sides. ;)

--
Cheers,
Ben
 |  Next  |  Last