From: kitekrazy on
John Braner wrote:

> - Then I upgraded from 4GB to 8GB RAM in my Q6600 2.4 GHz Quad core
> which is two years old - but is working fine. This was not 100%
> straightforward, as the 1066MHz (PC2-8500) CL7 memory doesn't really run
> at it's advertised speed. The mobo is a Asus P5KR and takes 4 x 2GB DDR2
> DRAM @ 1066MHz - but I got consistent memtest errors. I found that by
> backing the timing down to 890 MHz and running at CL5 (5-5-5-15) it
> works fine - and the sisoft sandra benchmarks are only about 3-4% slower
> than running at 1066 MHz 7-7-7-18. This isn't for the faint hearted -
> you have to be comfortable with the "gamer" BIOS settings.

A Q6600 is a fine processor. That's what on my Intel machine. I have an
Intel DG33BU board and it only accepts 800mhz memory. So I have 8 gigs
of Crucial with a 6 CLAS. I put that in all of my systems.

> - The good part was that all my plugins work! Bitbridge is good and I
> plumped the �15 for jbridge too. Jbridge works great, and helped me with
> some plugs that have a lot of presets - like the URS console Pro.
> Bitbridge lists them all in one big (scrollable) column, while jbridge
> makes them look like they did in XP. My Spectrasonics Trilian and
> Omnisphere are 64 bit and the Toontrack Superior 2 is a public beta that
> works great. Vintagewarmer has a 64 bit version and I was surprised that
> all the Izotope ones (Ozone 4, Trash, Spectron and even Vinyl) have 64
> bit versions as well as 32 bit ones. Also Nebula has a 64 bit one. So
> with these and the sonitus ones and the new Project 5 ones that ship
> with SONAR 8.5 - there are a lot of good native 64 bit plugins to work
> with. Like I said - all the rest seem fine with bitbridge and/or jbridge
> (unless I uncover any funnies as I work more with them).
>
> I was even able to load my old favourite db multiband limiter - which is
> an ancient DX plugin. I used dxshell
> http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/dxshell_v1.0.2b.zip and it works great! I
> can't save any presets though. Thanks to Rick for pointing this one out.
>
> I did take the opportunity to ditch lots of plugins that I never use any
> more - so I've only re-installed the "good" ones that I actually use.
>
> - The only thing that didn't work too well in Win 7 was my beloved Adobe
> Audition 1.5. I had to get ver 3, which is now working fine (once you
> set up the h/w inputs and outputs correctly)
>
> - I farted around with autoruns, and ccleaner to clean things up, and I
> run a batch file to stop a few services, disconnect the network card and
> turn off the Kaspersky AV stuff (oh yeah - I had to upgrade Kaspersky to
> Internet Security 2010 to work in Win 7. My annual renewal was up in a
> few weeks - so that was OK) - and that works fine.

I'm using MSE. I don't have any AV on my DAWs. I'll do online scans and
use Malwarebytes.

> == End result - I can load up a project with a 1.1GB drum kit in
> Superior, a scrumptious (1.2GB RAM) Trilian acoustic bass, a 500MB
> Omnisphere patch - and I *still* have 3GB free (which is more than I
> used to have to start with!). Also I can play around browsing the
> Omnisphere patches without crashing anything - so that is what I was
> hoping for ;-)
>

> I seriously thought I'd just set up the Win 7 partition while I had the
> time - and try to get it workable sometime in the future - while using
> my XP partition for everyday music stuff. In reality - the Windows 7
> partition is ready to go and it works great. All my current projects
> open up and I'll just use this. Any 64 bit plugins with the same name as
> the 32 bit ones just "work" with old projects. For the ones that are
> different - SONAR says "this plugin isn't available, would you like to
> pick one from the list?", and you choose the 64 bit one. I did this for
> Izotope Trash, and it worked fine.
>

> I'll keep the XP partition around for awhile in case I need to open old
> projects, with plugins I didn't bring across etc.

Good move. If you have W7 Pro with VXP, running audio apps would suck.

From: kitekrazy on
Ben Goldman wrote:
> John Braner wrote:
>
>> this isn't for the faint hearted (playing with boot managers)
>
> I know /that's/ right. ;) The Main Boot Record (MBR) is a vital
> section that only wants *one* boss in charge.
>
> I've used Boot Magic - good.
> And stock Windows boot manager - plain and very sufficient.
> As stated before and many times to come - I love GRUB. <ggg>
>
> I'm happy you've got it going now.
>
> I find total reinstalls quite fulfilling because things get setup nice
> and fresh with a much leaner registry. ;)

I had to use a 3rd party boot manager for this system because W7 didn't
do it right. Supposedly it's bug with Sata drives when your 1st drive
isn't the OS.
From: John Braner on
Glennbo wrote:
> The killer robot John Braner <me(a)myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the
> spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> The *real* reason for all this is the RAM... ;-)
>
> I know, I just like to joke around whenever 64 bit operating systems are
> mentioned because so many people actually *do* think it's going to sound
> better, or perform faster since it's more bitz. Since the most RAM hungry
> plugin I use is Superior Drummer 2, and using the sounds I like the best
> for it add up to only about a half a gig, I'm not getting anywhere close to
> the 2 gigs of RAM I have available. Basically, my DAW ain't broke, so I'm
> not fixing it. ;)

Good philosophy. The thing that drove me to make the move was Trilian. I was able to manage nice big
Superior kits and Omnisphere together - along with whatever else - but Trilian made me have to
juggle things and bounce more. So I started thinking.... (always a sign of danger) ;-)

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: John Braner on

> Of course, whether you can hear the difference in practice is another
> question altogether, and there are other factors that come into play if you

That's the real question Rick. It's like, "can you hear that bat farting 3kms away during the drum
solo?" ;-)

--
===========

From: John Braner on
Ben Goldman wrote:
> Glennbo wrote:
>
>> The killer robot John Braner <me(a)myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of
>> the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>>
>>> The real reason for all this is the RAM... ;-)
>> I know, I just like to joke around whenever 64 bit operating systems
>> are mentioned because so many people actually do think it's going to
>> sound better, or perform faster since it's more bitz. Since the most
>> RAM hungry plugin I use is Superior Drummer 2, and using the sounds I
>> like the best for it add up to only about a half a gig, I'm not
>> getting anywhere close to the 2 gigs of RAM I have available.
>> Basically, my DAW ain't broke, so I'm not fixing it. ;)
>
> If mine were broke it would stay broke because I'm broke. har har har
> ;)

<Bada bing>

I just flew into town and boy are my arms tired...

--
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner