From: BobPalin on
What we have to do is take one of our programs that we already turned
in and make it use recursion. This program detects if a user entered
word is a palindrome. Below is the code for the original program but
we're stuck on how to do it using recursion. The part we need to
change to recursion is commented out. Thanks!!

.data
str1: .asciiz "Type a string to see if it is a palindrome: "
str2: .asciiz "The string "
str3: .asciiz " is a palindrome."
str4: .asciiz " is not a palindrome."
cr: .asciiz "\n"
space: .space 10
.text
.globl main

main: li $v0, 4
la $a0, str1
syscall
li $v0, 4
la $a0, cr
syscall
li $a1, 10
la $a0, space
li $v0, 8
syscall

la $t1, space
la $t2, space

findLen:lb $t3, 0($t2)
beq $t3, $zero, endLen
add $t2, $t2, 1
j findLen

endLen: sub $t2, $t2, 2

##THIS PART NEEDS CHANGED TO RECURSION************************
#test: bge $t1, $t2, palin
# lb $t3, 0($t1)
# lb $t4, 0($t2)
# bne $t3, $t4, notPalin
# addi $t1, $t1, 1
# sub $t2, $t2, 1
# j test
#*************************************************************************************

palin: la $a0, str2
li $v0, 4
syscall
la $t4, space
move $a0, $t4
li $v0, 4
syscall
addi $t4, $t4, 1
la $a0, str3
li $v0, 4
syscall
j done

notPalin:
la $a0, str2
li $v0, 4
syscall
la $t4, space
move $a0, $t4
li $v0, 4
syscall
la $a0, str4
li $v0, 4
syscall

done: li $v0, 10
syscall
From: rossum on
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:23:05 -0700 (PDT), BobPalin
<bowlingbible2(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>What we have to do is take one of our programs that we already turned
>in and make it use recursion. This program detects if a user entered
>word is a palindrome. Below is the code for the original program but
>we're stuck on how to do it using recursion. The part we need to
>change to recursion is commented out. Thanks!!

1. A string "ABCDEFG" is a palindrome iff A = G and BCDEF is a
palindrome.

2. "A" is a palindrome for all A.

3. "" is a palindrome.

rossum

From: BobPalin on
On Sep 21, 1:03 pm, rossum <rossu...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:23:05 -0700 (PDT), BobPalin
>
> <bowlingbib...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >What we have to do is take one of our programs that we already turned
> >in and make it use recursion.  This program detects if a user entered
> >word is a palindrome.  Below is the code for the original program but
> >we're stuck on how to do it using recursion.  The part we need to
> >change to recursion is commented out.  Thanks!!
>
> 1. A string "ABCDEFG" is a palindrome iff A = G and BCDEF is a
> palindrome.
>
> 2. "A" is a palindrome for all A.
>
> 3. "" is a palindrome.
>
> rossum

Sorry, it appears that I wasn't clear enough with my question. The
program above tests to see if what the user inputted is a palindrome.
What I need the program to do is the same thing, but recursively. The
commented out area needs to be done using recursion. Any suggestions?
From: Richard Heathfield on
In
<f1d4c94c-5296-468d-bb00-e1d4a756cff6(a)l34g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
BobPalin wrote:

> On Sep 21, 1:03 pm, rossum <rossu...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:23:05 -0700 (PDT), BobPalin
>>
>> <bowlingbib...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >What we have to do is take one of our programs that we already
>> >turned in and make it use recursion. This program detects if a
>> >user entered word is a palindrome. Below is the code for the
>> >original program but we're stuck on how to do it using recursion.
>> >The part we need to change to recursion is commented out.
>> >Thanks!!
>>
>> 1. A string "ABCDEFG" is a palindrome iff A = G and BCDEF is a
>> palindrome.
>>
>> 2. "A" is a palindrome for all A.
>>
>> 3. "" is a palindrome.
>>
>> rossum
>
> Sorry, it appears that I wasn't clear enough with my question. The
> program above tests to see if what the user inputted is a
> palindrome. What I need the program to do is the same thing, but
> recursively.

Your question was clear enough, and I think you'll find that the
answer is clear enough too, if you read it a little more closely. The
above is a design for a recursive palindrome algorithm, which rossum
provided in an attempt to give you a hint without actually doing the
work for you (because that's *your* job).

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within
From: rossum on
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:38:53 -0700 (PDT), BobPalin
<bowlingbible2(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sep 21, 1:03 pm, rossum <rossu...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:23:05 -0700 (PDT), BobPalin
>>
>> <bowlingbib...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >What we have to do is take one of our programs that we already turned
>> >in and make it use recursion.  This program detects if a user entered
>> >word is a palindrome.  Below is the code for the original program but
>> >we're stuck on how to do it using recursion.  The part we need to
>> >change to recursion is commented out.  Thanks!!
>>
>> 1. A string "ABCDEFG" is a palindrome iff A = G and BCDEF is a
>> palindrome.
Here "iff" means "if and only if" and A ... G are character variables.

>> 2. "A" is a palindrome for all A.
>>
>> 3. "" is a palindrome.
>>
>> rossum
>
>Sorry, it appears that I wasn't clear enough with my question.
Your question was perfectly clear. You want us to help you with your
homework.

>The program above tests to see if what the user inputted is a palindrome.
>What I need the program to do is the same thing, but recursively. The
>commented out area needs to be done using recursion. Any suggestions?
My comments should help you to redesign your program so that it works
recursively. We do not do your homework for you, but we do offer
help. It is up to you to use that help.

If you want me to code your progam for you then my rates go up to GBP
200 per hour.

Hint: recursion is self-reference. Look for some self-reference in my
three points.

rossum