From: gremnebulin on
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit

My friends over at reddit.com rewrote their site from Lisp to Python
in the past week. It was pretty much done after one weekend.
(Disclosure: They used my web.py library.) They knew Lisp (they wrote
their whole site in it) and they knew Python (they rewrote their whole
site in it) and yet they decided liked Python better for this project.
The Python version had less code than ran faster and was far easier to
read and maintain.

The idea that there is something better than Lisp is apparently
inconceivable to some, judging from comments on the reddit blog. The
Lispers instead quickly set about trying to find the real reason
behind the switch.

One assumed it must have been divine intervention, since “there seems
to be no other reason for switching to an inferior language.” Another
figured something else must be going on: “Could this be…a lie? To
throw off competition? It’s not as though Paul Graham hasn’t hinted at
this tactic in his essays…” Another chimed in: “I decided it was a
prank.” Another suggested the authors simply wanted more “cut corners,
hacks, and faked artisanship.”

These were, of course, extreme cases. Others assumed there must have
been outside pressure. “Either libraries or hiring new programmers I
guess.” Another concluded: “some vc suit wants a maintainable-by-joe-
programmer product. I hope he pays you millions.”

The Lisp newsgroup, comp.lang.lisp, was upset about the switch that
they’re currently planning to write a competitor to reddit in Lisp, to
show how right they are or something.

The more sane argued along the lines of saying Lisp’s value lies in
being able to create new linguistic constructs and that for something
like a simple web app, this isn’t necessary, since the constructs have
been already built. But even this isn’t true. web.py was built pretty
much from scratch and uses all sorts of “new linguistic constructs”
and — even better — these constructs have syntax that goes along with
them and makes them reasonably readable. Sure, Python isn’t Perl 6, so
you can’t add arbitrary syntax, but you can often find a clever way to
get the job done.
From: John Slimick on
On 2009-09-24, gremnebulin <peterdjones(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit
>
> My friends over at reddit.com rewrote their site from Lisp to Python
> in the past week. It was pretty much done after one weekend.
> (Disclosure: They used my web.py library.) They knew Lisp (they wrote
> their whole site in it) and they knew Python (they rewrote their whole
> site in it) and yet they decided liked Python better for this project.
> The Python version had less code than ran faster and was far easier to
> read and maintain.
>
> The idea that there is something better than Lisp is apparently
> inconceivable to some, judging from comments on the reddit blog. The
> Lispers instead quickly set about trying to find the real reason
> behind the switch.

I never saw LISP as a serious production language,
but more as a conceptual tool to understand the problem
and plan a solution. The attractiveness was that one did
not get overawed by the syntactical concerns of an ALGOL
derivative. Had there been a LISP2, the world of
programming languages would probably been different.

I emphasize over and over again to my CS students the
necessity of visualization. Visualizing a solution
in LISP should assist in implementing the solution
whatever language one uses. Of course, LISP reliance
on recursion, I think, aids in this visualization
effort.

I will say that when I saw that Python had lambda
expressions, I felt that here was something that
could do a lot of what LISP could do.

Finally, that one can replace a LISP program with
one written in a language developed 40 years later
should be expected. The hard work was inventing
LISP. I wonder if Python will have the continuity
that LISP has; in 1985 or so I got my hands on
an implementation of LISP, and to test it, I
used the Hao Wang theorem prover from the LISP
1.55 manual. I needed to add exactly one function
and it ran -- more than 20 years after publication.

john slimick
slimick(a)pitt.edu
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
gremnebulin <peterdjones(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit
> [...]
> The Lisp newsgroup, comp.lang.lisp, was upset about the switch that
> they’re currently planning to write a competitor to reddit in Lisp, to
> show how right they are or something.

They're not planning to write a competitor, they did write several
times a reddit clone in a few hours, proving some point. AFAIK nobody
is planning anything more regarding Reddit, it's rather past history
now. It wasn't the first team to rewrite their lisp program in a
lesser language, probably won't be the last.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
John Slimick <jcs(a)cameron.upb.pitt.edu> writes:
> Finally, that one can replace a LISP program with
> one written in a language developed 40 years later
> should be expected. The hard work was inventing
> LISP. I wonder if Python will have the continuity
> that LISP has; in 1985 or so I got my hands on
> an implementation of LISP, and to test it, I
> used the Hao Wang theorem prover from the LISP
> 1.55 manual. I needed to add exactly one function
> and it ran -- more than 20 years after publication.

This is still true today with Common Lisp:
http://www.informatimago.com/develop/lisp/small-cl-pgms/wang.html

(I had to add about twenty lines of Common Lisp to be able to feed the
original card deck, but that Wang theorem prover still runs).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Rui Maciel on
John Slimick wrote:

> I never saw LISP as a serious production language,

AutoCAD has a considerable chunk of it written in lisp (well, a lisp dialect) and also relies on it for
scripting.

That is as serious as any production language can get.

Rui Maciel