From: Stefan on
Hi all-

I am using an Allen and Heath ML5000. When I connect Clearcom into the
intercom input on the rear of the console, a Hum is initiated on that
channel of Clearcom. Has anyone experienced this issue before?

I have tried ground lifting the cable, and running a cable directly
from the base station to the console. Same results.

Thanks

Stefan

From: Rupert on
On Apr 15, 12:10 pm, Stefan <skoni...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> I am using an Allen and Heath ML5000. When I connect Clearcom into the
> intercom input on the rear of the console, a Hum is initiated on that
> channel of Clearcom. Has anyone experienced this issue before?
>
> I have tried ground lifting the cable, and running a cable directly
> from the base station to the console. Same results.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stefan

Sometimes even a pin 1 lift isn't enough to cure ground loops with
direct coupled (non-transform isolated) equipment when different power
branch circuits are involved. The fix may be a 1:1 XLR isolation
transformer like the Sescom:

http://www.sescom.com/index.cfm

Rupert
From: bob on
On 4/15/2010 2:16 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 15, 12:10 pm, Stefan<skoni...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all-
>>
>> I am using an Allen and Heath ML5000. When I connect Clearcom into the
>> intercom input on the rear of the console, a Hum is initiated on that
>> channel of Clearcom. Has anyone experienced this issue before?
>>
>> I have tried ground lifting the cable, and running a cable directly
>> from the base station to the console. Same results.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Stefan
>
> Sometimes even a pin 1 lift isn't enough to cure ground loops with
> direct coupled (non-transform isolated) equipment when different power
> branch circuits are involved. The fix may be a 1:1 XLR isolation
> transformer like the Sescom:
>
> http://www.sescom.com/index.cfm
>
> Rupert

A pin 1 LIFT would kill the audio on clearcom. its unbalanced with
signal on pin 1 and 3

* Pin 1: The pin 1 is common ground.
* Pin 2: The Pin 2 carries the station power (24-30V DC up to 100
mA per station, typically 50 mA).
* Pin 3: The audio is carried using pin 3.

if one had a balanced passive DI, you could try to hook the pin 1
clear-com to pin 2, and pin 3clearcom to pin 3 input. then use the other
side to hook
into the console. Keep in mind if there is noise in the com with no
console attatched, you will STILL have noise when the console is attached

bob