From: Tom Rapner on
Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my All-
in-Wonder 9600XT?

I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI --
and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of success I've
found were from one poster who installed a Vista version of MMC first and
then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have the same luck, however,
and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to install Windows 7 in any case.)

I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
Windows 7.
From: Wile E. Coyote on
Tom Rapner wrote:
> Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my All-
> in-Wonder 9600XT?
>
> I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI --
> and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of success I've
> found were from one poster who installed a Vista version of MMC first and
> then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have the same luck, however,
> and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to install Windows 7 in any case.)
>
> I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
> motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
> capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
> Windows 7.

You won't like this but that's what you get for buying an All-In-Wonder
card. Buy dedicated video cards and dedicated TV tuner cards is the only
way to go.
From: Tom Rapner on
"Wile E. Coyote" <coyote(a)ACME.invalid> wrote in

> Tom Rapner wrote:
>> Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my
>> All- in-Wonder 9600XT?
>>
>> I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI
>> -- and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of
>> success I've found were from one poster who installed a Vista version
>> of MMC first and then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have
>> the same luck, however, and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to
>> install Windows 7 in any case.)
>>
>> I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
>> motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
>> capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
>> Windows 7.
>
> You won't like this but that's what you get for buying an
> All-In-Wonder card. Buy dedicated video cards and dedicated TV tuner
> cards is the only way to go.

So that's your contribution to this thread? Concluding that my purchase
of a combo card -- for a motherboard that had no available slots for a
dedicated TV tuner -- and which has performed stellarly over the years,
capturing thousands of hours of video -- was a mistake?

You won't like this, but you're a jerk.

To anyone who can address my question seriously, I'd be grateful.
From: Wile E. Coyote on
Tom Rapner wrote:

> You won't like this, but you're a jerk.

I may well be a jerk but I am an honest jerk and you are a dumbass for
buying an All-in-Wonder card in the first place. 9600XT is old now so
time to upgrade. Get a mb with more PCI slots while you are at it.
From: Tom Rapner on
"Wile E. Coyote" <coyote(a)ACME.invalid> wrote in news:1kBNm.53037
$gg6.46838(a)newsfe25.iad:

> I may well be a jerk but I am an honest jerk and you are a dumbass for
> buying an All-in-Wonder card in the first place. 9600XT is old now so
> time to upgrade. Get a mb with more PCI slots while you are at it.

In fact you are an *ignorant* jerk, the matter of your professed
"honesty" aside. It was already stated that for the PC in question, if
the purpose was to capture video, a combo card was the only choice
available at the time it was purchased, installed and deployed.

And whether or not your initial post was "honest" is irrelevant. First,
it was a statement of opinion, not fact, and as such neither subject to
being labeled "honest" or otherwise. But moreover, it had no purpose
than to belittle. It was counter-productive at minimum.

Whether it is "time to upgrade" is not for you to decide, but I am not
throwing away this PC.

My question remains, "Is there any way to run MMC on a Windows 7
computer containing the All-in-Wonder 9600XT?" The floor is no longer
open to you.

Jerk.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3