From: Luis Arnauth on
Hello All,

My configuration of MOSS 2007 is 2 web plus 1 SQL (cluster)

Web1
Central Administration
Document Conversions Launcher Service
Document Conversions Load Balancer Service
Excel Calculation Services
Office SharePoint Server Search
Windows SharePoint Services Help Search
Windows SharePoint Services Incoming E-Mail
Windows SharePoint Services Web Application

Web2
Central Administration Service running on server: Web1
Document Conversions Launcher
Document Conversions Load Balancer Service
Excel Calculation Services
Office SharePoint Server Search
Windows SharePoint Services Incoming E-Mail
Windows SharePoint Services Search Service running on server: Web1
Windows SharePoint Services Web Application

Both servers are part of a Windows NLB, Multicast with the protocols TCP 80
and 443 and affinity single.

I'm using Kerberos for authentication and all spn are set to all service
accounts and urls.

I've run the following commands on both web servers:
stsadm -o set-ecssecurity -accessmodel delegation -ssp sharedservices1
stsadm -o setsharedwebserviceauthn -negotiate
stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs

I've checked %program files%\\Microsoft Office
Server\12.0\WebServices\Root\Web.Config and it contains the following:
<location path="XXXXX/ExcelCalculationServer" allowOverride="true"
inheritInChildApplications="true">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="*" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

This configurations are from
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1118982&SiteID=1

If I render an excel file on server Web2 no problem occours, but if i try
from Web1 I got this errors on Web1:

06/23/2008 11:38:23.95 w3wp.exe (0x09C0) 0x0C7CExcelServices Excel Services Web Front End 6k38 Medium
ExcelServerProxy.ExecuteWebMethod: sending request of type OpenWorkbook, to
server=https://Web2:12345/SSP1/ExcelCalculationServer/ExcelService.asmx,
session=(null), state id=006/23/2008 11:38:23.97 w3wp.exe (0x09C0) 0x0C7C
Excel Services Excel Services Web Front End 6k3i Medium
ExcelServerProxy.ProcessWebException: A Web exception during
ExecuteWebMethod has occurred for server:
https://Web2:12345/SSP1/ExcelCalculationServer/ExcelService.asmx, method:
OpenWorkbook, ex: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP
status 401: Unauthorized. at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters) at
Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Proxy.ExcelServiceSoap.OpenWorkbook(String
url, CommandParameter parameter, CultureCommandParameter cultureParameter,
Guid requestSiteId, String& workbookId, Boolean& hasOpenItemPermission)
....06/23/2008 11:38:23.97* w3wp.exe (0x09C0) 0x0C7C
Excel Services Excel Services Web Front End 6k3i Medium
....at
Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Proxy.ExcelServerProxy.<>c__DisplayClass1.<OpenWorkbook>b__0(CommandParameter
parameterDelegate, ExcelServiceSoap excelService) at
Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Proxy.ExcelServerProxy.ExecuteWithSecurityContext(Boolean
revertToSelf, CoreWebMethod coreWebMethod, ExcelServiceSoap excelService,
CommandParameter parameter) at
Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Proxy.ExcelServerProxy.ExecuteWebMethod(WebMethodType
webMethodType, PreProcessWebMethod preProcessWebMethod, CoreWebMethod
coreWebMethod, Boolean& noServerResponse), response:
'System.Net.HttpWebResponse', status ProtocolError, user name:
DOMAIN\UserAccount.06/23/2008 11:38:23.97 w3wp.exe (0x09C0) 0x0C7C
Excel Services Excel Services Web Front End 3skf CriticalTherewas an error in communicating with Excel Calculation Services
https://Web2:12345/SSP1/ExcelCalculationServer/ExcelService.asmx exception:
The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. [Session: (null)
User: DOMAIN\UserAccount].Thank you,

Luis Arnauth

From: "Ada Pan [MSFT]" on
Hello Luis,

Please run the following command line on the SharePoint application server:

cscript adsutil.vbs get w3svc/1720207907/NTAuthenticationProviders

If it returns "NTLM", then change command from "get" to "set" and add
"Negotiate" after NTAuthenticationProviders.

For more information, please see KB 215383 as reference:

How to configure IIS to support both the Kerberos protocol and the NTLM
protocol for network authentication
http://support.microsoft.com/?ID=215383

Explanation: The Office Server Web Services web application needs to allow
Kerberos authentication to pass through to the web services running under
the SharedService Provider resources.

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support
From: Luis Arnauth on
Hello Ada,

NTAuthenticationProviders : (STRING) "Negotiate"

I've managed to solve this problem. All the errors pointed to the netbios
name of the server, although I set spn to both netbios and fqdn of the
server in ADUC it only showned the fqdn spn.

I've renamed the servers in SCA from netbios to fqdn and the Excel Services
started to run OK, but I've lost the search capacity. I've seen many post
reporting the same errors I experience and the solution passes by renaming
the servers in SCA to the netbios name...

It seems that I have to choose between Excel Services and Office Search.

Luis Arnauth

From: "Ada Pan [MSFT]" on
Hello Luis,

I am glad to know you have resolved the Excel Services problem. I
appreciate you sharing the resolution here and I believe it must benefit
other users who may experiencing the same issue.

Regarding the search issue, please feel free to open a new thread. We can
continue to troubleshoot it in the newsgroup.