From: Mike Bryan on

Hello,
I had the same "Open Driver MTC0001 Fail!". Mine was in the title box
ESB. I had had this since updating to SP2 and it did not effect any
operations. I carried out what you said and deleted the appropriate
key, and the message disappeared. It took me a matter of five minutes
from reading your post. Nice one, it worked a treat.

QUOTE=Kent Sullivan]"Open Driver MTC0001 Fail!" was the error message.
The title of the
dialog box was "SB". I hunted around and found a utility called Scroll
Button that seemed to be the offending utility. (The unit is a
laptop.)

I was able to verify this was the culprit my using MSCONFIG.EXE
(launched by using Start--Run). If you want to use it, do this:

1) Choose Selective Startup on the General tab
2) Uncheck C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SB.EXE on the Startup tab -- exact path
will vary depending on your Windows install directory
3) Exit and restart system -- error should disappear

To get rid of it for good, I first tried uninstalled Scroll Button
using the Add/Remove Software control panel but something was missing
and it was unable to do the job.

So instead I used REGEDIT.EXE and removed the "SB" entry from the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key.
This key contains many different autorunning apps--make sure you
delete
the correct one!

I then deleted C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SB.EXE. Once that file was gone, I
re-ran the Add/Remove Software entry for Scroll Button. This time it
gave an error that allowed me to get rid of its entry in the list.

Whew.

--Kent

--
Kent Sullivan