From: Peter Olcott on
On 8/10/2010 6:44 PM, Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote:
> wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com wrote:
>> This is strange. Undermsnew.microsoft.com NG server I have 10 NGs. I
>> just tried accessing several of them. microsoft.public.outlook is one.
>> I'm getting msgs that they do not exist on the host. What's up with that?
>
> Microsoft is going out of the NNTP business infavor of web based forums
> (yuk!). Many of the groups (including this one) are also carried on
> Usenet servers. You might look for your missing groups there.

I can't find it there. In fact I was referred to this group from the web
based groups. There is a Visual Basic group there. but apparently no
VBScript group.

--
100% Accurate Display Screen OCR
http://www.OCR4Screen.com
From: Mayayana on
| I can't find it there. In fact I was referred to this group from the web
| based groups. There is a Visual Basic group there. but apparently no
| VBScript group.

There's a "scripting guys" forum here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ITCG/threads

But...

- It's a web forum, which is difficult to use.

- It requires signing up for a Live ID and logging in.

- It's moderated and filtered at will by MS employees.

- That single forum is the catchall for all Windows
scripting, which means several languages are being
discussed at once, often without any clear indication
in a given post of what language is being dealt with.
It's like having one group for the Win32 API, with
people posting willy nilly about C++, Delphi, VB, .Net,
etc.

There's no reason to wrestle with that as long as
the usenet groups are available. There are a lot of
knowledgeable people who frequent this group, with
no indication that the group will ever disappear as long
as there are usenet servers.

From: Peter Olcott on
On 8/10/2010 10:16 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> | I can't find it there. In fact I was referred to this group from the web
> | based groups. There is a Visual Basic group there. but apparently no
> | VBScript group.
> |
> There's a "scripting guys" forum here:
>
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ITCG/threads
>
> But...
>
> - It's a web forum, which is difficult to use.
>
> - It requires signing up for a Live ID and logging in.
>
> - It's moderated and filtered at will by MS employees.
>
> - That single forum is the catchall for all Windows
> scripting, which means several languages are being
> discussed at once, often without any clear indication
> in a given post of what language is being dealt with.
> It's like having one group for the Win32 API, with
> people posting willy nilly about C++, Delphi, VB, .Net,
> etc.
>
> There's no reason to wrestle with that as long as
> the usenet groups are available. There are a lot of
> knowledgeable people who frequent this group, with
> no indication that the group will ever disappear as long
> as there are usenet servers.

Yes, but, many of these groups have already become inaccessible. It may
only be a very short amount of time before this group no longer works.

From: Mayayana on

| > There's no reason to wrestle with that as long as
| > the usenet groups are available. There are a lot of
| > knowledgeable people who frequent this group, with
| > no indication that the group will ever disappear as long
| > as there are usenet servers.
| >

| Yes, but, many of these groups have already become inaccessible. It may
| only be a very short amount of time before this group no longer works.

No, they're not inaccessible. You misunderstood
the explanation. MS is closing their server. If you
go to msnews.microsoft.com (or whatever the address
is), most of the groups are gone. By October the
MS server will be shut down. You should be
fine with giganews, but if you find that there are groups
you can't reach now then you might want to switch
servers.

Newsgroups are
decentralized. Microsoft's action does not directly
affect any other server, despite the fact that the
groups have "microsoft" in their names. It's a bit
like if Novell's Suse Linux ISO server went down.
You wouldn't be able to download Suse Linux from
them. But all the mirror sites would be unaffected.

Microsoft may
send out a notice of their closing, but many/most
(all?) servers are not expected to act on that. Microsoft
has already closed groups that I still have no trouble
getting. It's likely that the only way the groups will
really close down is if Microsoft gets really ugly,
strongarming the various NNTP services with threats
of a lawsuit. (I have no idea whether that's likely or
even possible.)

From: "Dave "Crash" Dummy" on
Mayayana wrote:
> As Dave "Crash" Dummy said, MS is closing down their server. Shenan
> Stanley has provided Microsoft's explanation, but that's pretty much
> useless. The new web forums are unusable, and moderated by MS people.
> The "bridge" software to emulate a proper newsreader for the web
> forums has received bad reviews from people using it.
>
> The gist of it is that MS has discontinued hosting customer
> discussion and help groups on Usenet. But Usenet is decentralized, so
> many of the servers will continue to host the groups. You just have
> to switch your server from MS to your ISP or other Usenet server.
> Most should have the MS groups. I'm using a free server connection
> from eternal-september.org. It seems to work well.

I am subscribed to "microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript" and
"microsoft.public.scripting.wsh" on my Charter Usenet server. I have
pulled the msnews account from my newsreader altogether.

A rough count shows 456 microsoft.public, 80 microsoft.private, and 131
microsoft.beta groups listed on my Charter news server. There are other
groups with "microsoft" in the name, but I don't know if they were
really MS groups.
--
Crash

Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.