From: morgs on
Hi - a frustrating occasional glitch for a network guru...

At times on this Win XP Pro machine, MS Windows Network won't find
"Workgroup" or it finds it after a very long delay and then can't see the
other computers.

The other computers (Vista and Win7) can generally see this Win XP Pro
machine and all our shared arrnagements work fine - 90% of the time. But
when the Win XP machine's Windows Network function is playing up those other
machines can see each other but not the Win XP machine.

Does anyone know what might be causing this... note I have shutdown my
Zonealarm firewall and restarted my XP machine to ensure this is not an issue
and all computers get access under normal circumstances as all have our IP
range designated as Trusted.
From: John John - MVP on
morgs wrote:
> Hi - a frustrating occasional glitch for a network guru...
>
> At times on this Win XP Pro machine, MS Windows Network won't find
> "Workgroup" or it finds it after a very long delay and then can't see the
> other computers.
>
> The other computers (Vista and Win7) can generally see this Win XP Pro
> machine and all our shared arrnagements work fine - 90% of the time. But
> when the Win XP machine's Windows Network function is playing up those other
> machines can see each other but not the Win XP machine.
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing this... note I have shutdown my
> Zonealarm firewall and restarted my XP machine to ensure this is not an issue
> and all computers get access under normal circumstances as all have our IP
> range designated as Trusted.

Look in the Event Logs for clues, this sounds like a Master Browser or a
subnet related problem.

John
From: John Wunderlich on
John John - MVP <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in

> morgs wrote:
>> Hi - a frustrating occasional glitch for a network guru...
>>
>> At times on this Win XP Pro machine, MS Windows Network won't
>> find "Workgroup" or it finds it after a very long delay and then
>> can't see the other computers.
>>
>> The other computers (Vista and Win7) can generally see this Win
>> XP Pro machine and all our shared arrnagements work fine - 90% of
>> the time. But when the Win XP machine's Windows Network function
>> is playing up those other machines can see each other but not the
>> Win XP machine.
>>
>> Does anyone know what might be causing this... note I have
>> shutdown my Zonealarm firewall and restarted my XP machine to
>> ensure this is not an issue and all computers get access under
>> normal circumstances as all have our IP range designated as
>> Trusted.
>
> Look in the Event Logs for clues, this sounds like a Master
> Browser or a subnet related problem.

I agree with John John. The following article was written for Windows
2000 but in my experience, everything still applies to XP. Newer
versions of 'browstat.exe' can replace the network name
(/device/NetBT...) with the network number obtained from the
"browstat dn" command...

"Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305>

HTH,
John