From: charliech on
I have been trying to streamline my start-up items and working thru
MSCONFIG, I see a couple of items that I cannot figure out! The two
items are as follows:

No "Startup Item" Name
No "Command" Site listed

- One has the following in "Location";
" HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run

- The other has;
"HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run

What are these items and can I safely uncheck them in MSCONFIG.

Any input/suggestions are appreciated.

charliec
From: philo on
charliech(a)email.com wrote:
> I have been trying to streamline my start-up items and working thru
> MSCONFIG, I see a couple of items that I cannot figure out! The two
> items are as follows:
>
> No "Startup Item" Name
> No "Command" Site listed
>
> - One has the following in "Location";
> " HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
>
> - The other has;
> "HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
>
> What are these items and can I safely uncheck them in MSCONFIG.
>
> Any input/suggestions are appreciated.
>
> charliec

uncheck them and reboot

if it was anything you need to have there

you can always run msconfig again and put it back
From: Jose on
On Jan 3, 8:03 am, philo <ph...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> charli...(a)email.com wrote:
> > I have been trying to streamline my start-up items and working thru
> > MSCONFIG, I see a couple of items that I cannot figure out!  The two
> > items are as follows:
>
> > No "Startup Item" Name
> > No "Command" Site listed
>
> > - One has the following in "Location";
> > " HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
>
> > - The other has;
> > "HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
>
> > What are these items and can I safely uncheck them in MSCONFIG.
>
> > Any input/suggestions are appreciated.
>
> > charliec
>
> uncheck them and reboot
>
> if it was anything you need to have there
>
> you can always run msconfig again and put it back

uncheck and reboot does not equal figure out.
From: philo on
Jose wrote:
> On Jan 3, 8:03 am, philo <ph...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>> charli...(a)email.com wrote:
>>> I have been trying to streamline my start-up items and working thru
>>> MSCONFIG, I see a couple of items that I cannot figure out! The two
>>> items are as follows:
>>> No "Startup Item" Name
>>> No "Command" Site listed
>>> - One has the following in "Location";
>>> " HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
>>> - The other has;
>>> "HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
>>> What are these items and can I safely uncheck them in MSCONFIG.
>>> Any input/suggestions are appreciated.
>>> charliec
>> uncheck them and reboot
>>
>> if it was anything you need to have there
>>
>> you can always run msconfig again and put it back
>
> uncheck and reboot does not equal figure out.

of course it does

that's one way of seeing if an "unnamed" function has any effect on the
system
From: peacock_eric on

charliech(a)email.com;4752237 Wrote:
> I have been trying to streamline my start-up items and working thru
> MSCONFIG, I see a couple of items that I cannot figure out! The two
> items are as follows:
>
> No "Startup Item" Name
> No "Command" Site listed
>
> - One has the following in "Location";
> " HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
>
> - The other has;
> "HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
>
> What are these items and can I safely uncheck them in MSCONFIG.
>
> Any input/suggestions are appreciated.
>
> charliec

you could go to the registry locations and see what's in there.

i often find blank entries in startup on computers i work on and i
always remove them.
could be malware related, could be leftover from a program uninstall,
or could be something else.
but if there is nothing in the registry keys listed that is not already
accounted for by other msconfig entried, you may never know the source
of the blank entries.

just uncheck them and go about your day. ;) lol

--
peacock_eric
peacock_eric's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/167759.htm

http://forums.techarena.in