From: Mike S on
On 6/17/2010 10:15 PM, MM wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 02:26:18 GMT, sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye)
> wrote:
>
>> The good software is the kind ordinary people can relate
>> to.
>
> The good software is the kind that doesn't have a bug that prevents
> rows past 65,535 from being viewed.
>
> MM

<joke>
Are the viewers human, I mean, do they by any chance have compound eyes?
From Wikipedia, "A compound eye may consist of thousands of individual
photoreceptor units." And from tr1.harunyahya.com, "A fly has compound
eyes on both sides of its head, each of which is divided into 4,000
sections..."
</joke>
From: Dee Earley on
On 18/06/2010 06:15, MM wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 02:26:18 GMT, sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye)
> wrote:
>
>> The good software is the kind ordinary people can relate
>> to.
>
> The good software is the kind that doesn't have a bug that prevents
> rows past 65,535 from being viewed.

No, that's just (at least one) bug less software.
Doesn't necessarily make it good.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Dee Earley on
On 18/06/2010 11:19, MM wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:03:46 +0100, Dee Earley
> <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 18/06/2010 06:15, MM wrote:

>>> The good software is the kind that doesn't have a bug that prevents
>>> rows past 65,535 from being viewed.
>>
>> No, that's just (at least one) bug less software.
>> Doesn't necessarily make it good.
>
> But don't you strive for bug-free software, first and foremost?
> Whether users want to see past 65,535 is surely *their* business, not
> the business of some net nanny who celebrates a bug as the reason why
> they shouldn't?

No, I strive for good software which is far more than just bug free,
usable and well designed also come into it.
I'd hope a "Hello world" app would be bug free, but it is far from good.."

Long lists are impractical, fact.
If they weren't, why do you think paging was developed?

I frequently have to work on a (currently) 92K item grid and that is a
right PITA without the filter/search.
Pretty much all you can do without filtering is go "ohh, lots of items!".

Yes, there appears to be a bug in that grid that means it can't handle
more than 65Ki entries, but that most likely means it is VERY
infrequently used in that situation.

Just because my computer has 2GB of RAM, doesn't mean I should
immediately cache 2GB of all the documents available in case the user
happens to look at some of them..

From: Dee Earley on
On 18/06/2010 13:29, Mike Williams wrote:
> "Dee Earley"<dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Just because my computer has 2GB of RAM, doesn't
>> mean I should immediately cache 2GB of all the documents
>> available in case the user happens to look at some of them..
>
> Well you'd best tell that to your bussom buddies at Micro$oft because Vista
> swallows up most of the first GB of RAM just to stay on its feet!

I didn't say Vista was good.. :p

From: dpb on
MM wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:12:18 +0100, Dee Earley
> <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Yes, there appears to be a bug in that grid that means it can't handle
>> more than 65Ki entries, but that most likely means it is VERY
>> infrequently used in that situation.
>
> No "appears" about it! It's a bug. Microsoft acknowledged it as such.

Well, more like a "feature".

The index was coded as Integer rather than w/ a Long -- perfectly
reasonable design criterion as over 64K entries in a grid is pretty much
useless anyway (as others have noted).

Whether it's a "bug" in your opinion or not doesn't really change that
it is a limitation and it ain't agonna' go away nor that the design to
use more than 64K entries in a grid in a UI is not an effective
presentation method.