From: Evgeny L Debaker on
Hello.

I am actually new to FreeBSD but it seems it worth studying it rather
than GNU/Linux full of many different distros. (Even though Debian and
other are sometimes well made what I can't say about Ubuntu 9.10.)

And wish to ask - just in case... had anyone tried FreeBSD on MSI Wind
U90? Low chances anyone ever did but anyway. !

Evgeny.
From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 12/02/2009 08:26 PM, Evgeny L Debaker wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am actually new to FreeBSD but it seems it worth studying it rather
> than GNU/Linux full of many different distros. (Even though Debian and
> other are sometimes well made what I can't say about Ubuntu 9.10.)
>
> And wish to ask - just in case... had anyone tried FreeBSD on MSI Wind
> U90? Low chances anyone ever did but anyway. !

/Nothing in this universe and, or galaxy is perfect, not even the God/.

OTOH, If you're so indifferent with Ubuntu, Debian, ArchLinux in general
and, or Linux (quite a flexible, though somewhat bloated system) in
particular the FreeBSD is not going to be panacea for you.

I mean FreeBSD (the operating system) is quite a clean and somewhat
integrated and good, but (no pun intended) the FreeBSD ports and, or
package management system is sort great hurdle in keeping a machine
updated. It sometimes may take not hours but days to do a portupgrade
for the OpenOffice.org, KDE and, or QT4; which is just 10-12 minutes of
job on other well known Linux distributions.

FYI, I never ever, saw any distinguishable performance gains by locally
compiling all or any of the packages except for the kernel whether it
was on/under Gentoo or FreeBSD.

One more thing, which I hate is Linux emulation under FreeBSD, because
none other than dated Fedora is supported and, or tested well by the
busy maintainers and you need install all that on FreeBSD read/writable
partition only even if you already have good working Linux installation
on an ext2, ext3 and, or ext4 partition.

Anyway, you're welcome to try FreeBSD on _MSI Wind U90_ and contribute
your valuable feedback.

Cheers,
--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192