From: Wolf K on
On 30/06/2010 15:50, ~BD~ wrote:
[snip argument that you needn't worry about Mac viruses];

Check out:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/malspyware.html

wolf k.
From: ~BD~ on

"Wolf K" <wekirch(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> On 30/06/2010 15:50, ~BD~ wrote:
> [snip argument that you needn't worry about Mac viruses];
>
> Check out:
> http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/malspyware.html
>
> wolf k.

Many thanks. Bookmarked for study when I'm back home with my iMac!

Dave

From: Wolf K on
On 01/07/2010 03:02, ~BD~ wrote:
> "Wolf K"<wekirch(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> On 30/06/2010 15:50, ~BD~ wrote:
>> [snip argument that you needn't worry about Mac viruses];
>>
>> Check out:
>> http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/malspyware.html
>>
>> wolf k.
>
> Many thanks. Bookmarked for study when I'm back home with my iMac!
>
> Dave

Yes, I found it very thorough.

IMO viruses are not the main danger anymore (though if you ever get one,
the effect can be traumatic. Don't ask how I know.)

Trojans, spybots, hijackers, spambots, sniffers - these are money makers
for the criminal classes, who are taking serious aim at all
desktop/mobile/laptop/ OSs. The days of "I don't have to worry, I have a
Mac" are over.

Anyhow, direct attack on the OS is not necessary. Social engineering
trumps OS security measures. All it takes is a careless or unaware click
on an e-mail attachment or web-site link, and the malware is installed
on your computer. Since you "allowed" it, it will run at your permission
level, which means it can send and receive 'net traffic, which what the
black hats want. The strict permissions regime of the *nix (including
OS-X) is no protection. It is designed to prevent attacks on the OS
itself, which is no help when the user has allowed the malware access to
the system.

More subtle attacks are also possible, of course. No one really knows
all the insecurities in *nix (which includes OS-X), as there have been
no really serious attacks as yet. Granted, *nixes are inherently more
secure than Windows, but that doesn't mean they're impregnable.

Cheers,
wolf k.
From: ~BD~ on

> On 01/07/2010 03:02, ~BD~ wrote:
>> "Wolf K"<wekirch(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> On 30/06/2010 15:50, ~BD~ wrote:
>>> [snip argument that you needn't worry about Mac viruses];
>>>
>>> Check out:
>>> http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/malspyware.html
>>>
>>> wolf k.
>>
>> Many thanks. Bookmarked for study when I'm back home with my iMac!
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Yes, I found it very thorough.
>
> IMO viruses are not the main danger anymore (though if you ever get
> one, the effect can be traumatic. Don't ask how I know.)
>
> Trojans, spybots, hijackers, spambots, sniffers - these are money
> makers for the criminal classes, who are taking serious aim at all
> desktop/mobile/laptop/ OSs. The days of "I don't have to worry, I have
> a Mac" are over.
>
> Anyhow, direct attack on the OS is not necessary. Social engineering
> trumps OS security measures. All it takes is a careless or unaware
> click on an e-mail attachment or web-site link, and the malware is
> installed on your computer. Since you "allowed" it, it will run at
> your permission level, which means it can send and receive 'net
> traffic, which what the black hats want. The strict permissions regime
> of the *nix (including OS-X) is no protection. It is designed to
> prevent attacks on the OS itself, which is no help when the user has
> allowed the malware access to the system.
>
> More subtle attacks are also possible, of course. No one really knows
> all the insecurities in *nix (which includes OS-X), as there have been
> no really serious attacks as yet. Granted, *nixes are inherently more
> secure than Windows, but that doesn't mean they're impregnable.
>
> Cheers,
> wolf k.

I appreciate your comments, 'Wolf K'

Cheers!

Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"Wolf K" <wekirch(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> IMO viruses are not the main danger anymore (though
> if you ever get one, the effect can be traumatic. Don't
> ask how I know.)

Generally, there is no reason to resort to viral techniques when there
is so much low hanging fruit to be had just by tricking the user into
running an application he perhaps shouldn't be running. When users start
getting clued-up and adhering to best practices, viruses might again
rule the malware world.

[...]

> The strict permissions regime of the *nix (including OS-X) is no
> protection. It is designed to prevent attacks
> on the OS itself, which is no help when the user has
> allowed the malware access to the system.

Good point to make, Wolf K.

Not long ago I was trying to convince some Linux user that malware
(specifically, bots) can still run on Linux, he didn't understand that
malware is often just an application that the user is running and not
some software exploit based intruder.

[...]