From: Steve C. on
I hope somebody here can help with this. Quicken customer support sure
seems useless.

I'm using Quicken for Mac v 2005. I own the Fidelity Spartan 500
fund. It recently merged with another fidelity fund and they issued
approximately 2 new shares for each original share.

I'm trying to figure out how to enter this into the Quicken register.
Based on a post on the Quicken web site, I tried doing it as a stock
split. I enter the number of old and new shares along with a price for
the new shares and Quicken makes the split (there's a rounding error,
but that's another story).

I then try to change the ticker symbol for the security. I open the
Security Detail window, change the ticker symbol, press return.
Instant bomb out of the app. Every time, like clockwork.

Is there a better way to do this? I don't want to sell the old shares
and buy the new ones because Quicken will record capital gains.

There's also a "Spin Off" action. Is that a better approach?

For what it's worth, I'm using an Intel Macbook Pro under Leopard.

Many thanks to anybody who can offer some help or insight.

Steve