From: RB on
Can someone illuminate why the MAC address is different for my
router in each of the below scenarios. I copied these from 3 separate
screens in the router setup. (I have no MAC cloning going on)
My question, does the router have 3 separate addresses, one for the Wan Port
then one for the wired Lan port and one for the wireless (radio) Port?
for my Linksys WRT54G router I get the following values,
first on the Administration->RouterInformation page it shows,
Firmware Version: v3.03.1, Oct. 18, 2004
Current Time: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:20:28
MAC Address: 00:50:BA:60:6D:5F <-scenario 1
Router Name: WRT54G
The router config side note says
This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen by your ISP.
then on the Administration->LocalNetwork page it shows,
MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:32 <-scenario 2
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.2
End IP Address: 192.168.1.11
The router config side note says
This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen on your local, Ethernet network.
then on the Administration->Wireless page it shows,
MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:34 <-scenario 3
Mode: Mixed
SSID: Bla Blaxxxxx
DHCP Server: Enabled
Channel: 7
Encryption Function: Enabled
The router config side note says
This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen on your local, wireless network.

From: John Wunderlich on
"RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam> wrote in

> Can someone illuminate why the MAC address is different for my
> router in each of the below scenarios. I copied these from 3
> separate screens in the router setup. (I have no MAC cloning going
> on) My question, does the router have 3 separate addresses, one
> for the Wan Port then one for the wired Lan port and one for the
> wireless (radio) Port?

Exactly correct.
-- John
From: Lem on
RB wrote:
> Can someone illuminate why the MAC address is different for my
> router in each of the below scenarios. I copied these from 3 separate
> screens in the router setup. (I have no MAC cloning going on)
> My question, does the router have 3 separate addresses, one for the Wan Port
> then one for the wired Lan port and one for the wireless (radio) Port?
> for my Linksys WRT54G router I get the following values,
> first on the Administration->RouterInformation page it shows,
> Firmware Version: v3.03.1, Oct. 18, 2004
> Current Time: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:20:28
> MAC Address: 00:50:BA:60:6D:5F <-scenario 1
> Router Name: WRT54G
> The router config side note says
> This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen by your ISP.
> then on the Administration->LocalNetwork page it shows,
> MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:32 <-scenario 2
> IP Address: 192.168.1.1
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> DHCP Server: Enabled
> Start IP Address: 192.168.1.2
> End IP Address: 192.168.1.11
> The router config side note says
> This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen on your local, Ethernet network.
> then on the Administration->Wireless page it shows,
> MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:34 <-scenario 3
> Mode: Mixed
> SSID: Bla Blaxxxxx
> DHCP Server: Enabled
> Channel: 7
> Encryption Function: Enabled
> The router config side note says
> This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen on your local, wireless network.

In the context of your router, a MAC address (Media Access Control
address) is a unique identifier assigned by the manufacturer to each
network adapter in the piece of hardware. The first 3 octets (first 6
hex digits) identify the manufacturer. The rest of the MAC address is
used by the manufacturer for its own purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

In the case of the WRT54G, there are 3 network adapters:

1. The network adapter that connects the WRT54G to the cable or DSL
modem (aka the WAN or Internet port)
2. The network adapter that connects the WRT54G via a built-in 4-port
switch to your LAN via Ethernet (aka the LAN ports)
3. The network adapter that connects the WRT54G to your LAN via
wireless [aka the wireless access point]

Normally, each of the 3 MAC addresses should have the same first 6
digits. If you really copied the information in your post accurately,
you have an unusual WRT54G, because it indicates that the WAN adapter of
your Linksys WRT54G was manufactured by D-Link, while the other 2
adapters were manufactured by Cisco-Linksys. I also note that on my
WRT54G, the info you report is on sub-tabs of the "Status" page, and not
the "Administration" page; are you sure that you haven't mixed up two
different routers?

See: http://aruljohn.com/mac.pl

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: RB on
> Normally, each of the 3 MAC addresses should have the same first 6 digits. If you really copied the information in your post
> accurately, you have an unusual WRT54G, because it indicates that the WAN adapter
> of your Linksys WRT54G was manufactured by D-Link, while the other 2 adapters were manufactured by Cisco-Linksys.

Thanks for the reply, I did in fact copy them (and here is another copy of
same) but I did change my SSID is all.
Firmware Version: v3.03.1, Oct. 18, 2004
Current Time: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:00:42
MAC Address: 00:50:BA:60:6D:5F
Router Name: WRT54G
Host Name:
MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:32
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:34
Mode: Mixed
SSID: xxxxxx
DHCP Server: Enabled
Channel: 7
Encryption Function: Enabled
> I also note that on my WRT54G, the info you report is on sub-tabs of the "Status" page, and not the "Administration" page; are you
> sure that you haven't mixed up two different routers?

No I only have one router hooked up, but you are right about it being on the
Status page (as I noted this morning) I apologize for that error.

From: RB on
Thanks.