From: 'Nel' on
I connect to the internet via my wireless network.

Every night I connect my PDA to my computer to use Internet Sharing in order
to connect to my work's portal so that I can print off my jobs for the next
day, rather than reading them on the PDA's screen throughout the day.

To get acces to the portal, I always have to disconnect the wireless
connection, connect PDA and open up portal & print jobs (jobs wait in the
print queue as wireless is off), disconnect PDA, reconnect to wireless,
print off jobs..... then usually disconnect wireless again, re-connect PDA
to alter ETA's etc (as it's much quicker on PC to do this than on the PDA).

Ideally, what I would like is if the PDA's network connection took priority
over the wireless connection - so that whenever the PDA was connected it
would route through the portal, and I wouldn't get "this page could not be
displayed" as it tried to access portal pages over the normal internet.
(Hope that all makes sense!)

Is it possible to do this?

TIA

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Usually priority of connection is configured this way.
http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
However I am not sure that it is pertain to your situation.
Since you are using ICS your PDA is behind a NAT, and it is Not an
independent agent.
It is Not clear from your description what is that you have to disconnect
from Wireless.
If the PDA is Wireless capable and there is a Wireless Router in the
picture, the PDA should be able to access the Wireless directly and connect
as an independent computer to the portal.
jack(a)softcog.com

From: 'Nel' on
Hi Jack

I didn't want to use the PDA on my wireless router as the portal can only be
accessed via the PDA & it's 3G connection - I am just using my PC to
piggyback on the 3G connection in order to view my calls more clearly in IE
and also print them out.

You advice on the metrics has done the trick. I've set the metric for my
wireless adapter to 10, and the PDA's 'Internet Sharing' connection to 20.
Now when I plug the PDA in and connect it's 'Internet Sharing' function, the
PC defaults to that. When I print a page from the portal, it is immediately
routed through my wireless to my network printer - and everything reverts
back to normal once I disconnect the Internet Sharing on the PDA!

Thanks a lot mate :-)

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Glad it worked. :)
Some how I got it up side down. I thought that the PDA is using the PC to
connect rather than the PC actually using the PDA.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> Hi Jack
>
> I didn't want to use the PDA on my wireless router as the portal can only
> be accessed via the PDA & it's 3G connection - I am just using my PC to
> piggyback on the 3G connection in order to view my calls more clearly in
> IE and also print them out.
>
> You advice on the metrics has done the trick. I've set the metric for my
> wireless adapter to 10, and the PDA's 'Internet Sharing' connection to 20.
> Now when I plug the PDA in and connect it's 'Internet Sharing' function,
> the PC defaults to that. When I print a page from the portal, it is
> immediately routed through my wireless to my network printer - and
> everything reverts back to normal once I disconnect the Internet Sharing
> on the PDA!
>
> Thanks a lot mate :-)
>

> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack(a)discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> Usually priority of connection is configured this way.
>> http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
>> However I am not sure that it is pertain to your situation.
>> Since you are using ICS your PDA is behind a NAT, and it is Not an
>> independent agent.
>> It is Not clear from your description what is that you have to disconnect
>> from Wireless.
>> If the PDA is Wireless capable and there is a Wireless Router in the
>> picture, the PDA should be able to access the Wireless directly and
>> connect as an independent computer to the portal.
>> jack(a)softcog.com
>>
>> "'Nel'" <who(a)where.com> wrote in message
>>>I connect to the internet via my wireless network.
>>>
>>> Every night I connect my PDA to my computer to use Internet Sharing in
>>> order to connect to my work's portal so that I can print off my jobs for
>>> the next day, rather than reading them on the PDA's screen throughout
>>> the day.
>>>
>>> To get acces to the portal, I always have to disconnect the wireless
>>> connection, connect PDA and open up portal & print jobs (jobs wait in
>>> the print queue as wireless is off), disconnect PDA, reconnect to
>>> wireless, print off jobs..... then usually disconnect wireless again,
>>> re-connect PDA to alter ETA's etc (as it's much quicker on PC to do this
>>> than on the PDA).
>>>
>>> Ideally, what I would like is if the PDA's network connection took
>>> priority over the wireless connection - so that whenever the PDA was
>>> connected it would route through the portal, and I wouldn't get "this
>>> page could not be displayed" as it tried to access portal pages over the
>>> normal internet. (Hope that all makes sense!)
>>>
>>> Is it possible to do this?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> --

Pages: 1