From: Mike on
I have a small office with a mix of XP & Vista laptops, mostly Dells,
that are all connecting to the LAN wireless.
I am using a Linksys WRT54G & cannot seem to keep it running!
The office isn't that large, any any where in it, the signal is very
strong.
At least once a week I will get calls about people not being able to
connect.
They will be connected to the local network, but not have internet
access & I will have to talk them through deleting the connection & re-
creating it & things will be fine, for a while.
Or they will unplug the power to the Linksys & all will be well.
I can guarantee you I can walk in there with my laptop & will be able
to connect with out a hitch, though.
COuld it be the Linksys?
Are there better brands I could look at?
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Or could be that the users are doing things ((be known, or unbeknown) that
cause these problems, and unless you are there for a while and see what they
are actually doing you will not solve the problems for the long run.
Routers are actually mini computers (most on a level comparable to the old
486 processor)
Just like a computer that would freeze (or run very slow) if the mem is too
low, or the load on the CPU is too heavy, or the OS (firmware) that runs
them was implemented in a sloppy manner.
At the sub $200, price does not necessarily indicate a better Router; some
Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality. They
cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
Router and professional Access Point.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Mike on
Unfortunatley, it's always a case of 'this guy can't get on, but
everybody else is fine'.
They also say a lot of times they will have to reboot the router & all
will be fine.
I considered the possibility of power glitches, shutting things down &
then coming back up in the wrong order, but have put the cable
company's router & wireless router on a UPS.
Any suggestions for maybe a better wireless router?

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Within the sub $100 group, this is probably the best offer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134
Otherwise take a look at the Mid prices Proxim line,
http://www.proxim.com/products/landing_wlan.html

From: smlunatick on
On Mar 12, 4:15 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <j...(a)discussiongroup.com>
wrote:
> Hi
> Within the sub $100 group, this is probably the best offer.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134
> Otherwise take a look at the Mid prices Proxim line,http://www.proxim.com/products/landing_wlan.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "Mike" <texan...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Unfortunatley, it's always a case of 'this guy can't get on, but
> everybody else is fine'.
> They also say a lot of times they will have to reboot the router & all
> will be fine.
> I considered the possibility of power glitches, shutting things down &
> then coming back up in the wrong order, but have put the cable
> company's router & wireless router on a UPS.
> Any suggestions for maybe a better wireless router?
>
> On Mar 10, 1:29 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <j...(a)discussiongroup.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Or could be that the users are doing things ((be known, or unbeknown) that
> > cause these problems, and unless you are there for a while and see what
> > they
> > are actually doing you will not solve the problems for the long run.
> > Routers are actually mini computers (most on a level comparable to the old
> > 486 processor)
> > Just like a computer that would freeze (or run very slow) if the mem is
> > too
> > low, or the load on the CPU is too heavy, or the OS (firmware) that runs
> > them was implemented in a sloppy manner.
> > At the sub $200, price does not necessarily indicate a better Router; some
> > Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality.
> > They
> > cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
> > If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
> > Router and professional Access Point.
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> > "Mike" <texan...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > >I have a small office with a mix of XP & Vista laptops, mostly Dells,
> > > that are all connecting to the LAN wireless.
> > > I am using a Linksys WRT54G & cannot seem to keep it running!
> > > The office isn't that large, any any where in it, the signal is very
> > > strong.
> > > At least once a week I will get calls about people not being able to
> > > connect.
> > > They will be connected to the local network, but not have internet
> > > access & I will have to talk them through deleting the connection & re-
> > > creating it & things will be fine, for a while.
> > > Or they will unplug the power to the Linksys & all will be well.
> > > I can guarantee you I can walk in there with my laptop & will be able
> > > to connect with out a hitch, though.
> > > COuld it be the Linksys?
> > > Are there better brands I could look at?- Hide quoted text -

I have seen incredible connecting / connection problems with both D-
Link and Linksys routers in general. This is because these are low
end wireless (enterprise models are usually more reliable but
extremely expensive) all tend to be shipped with the same "default"
settings:

Channel 6
No wireless security (no WEP or WPA(2) settings)
same default passwords across the model line.

I have had better experience with Netgear router myself.