From: Steve on
I've got a 2006 era Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro (non Unibody) that appears
to have died overnight. When I went to it this morning it was frozen
and when I cycled the power it did not restart.

It is not responding to the power button at all. PSU fault, logic
board fault?

Any tests or steps I can try to check it out more?

Given the vintage of the machine I'm wondering whether it's worth
repair or whether my IT 'budget' would be better spent on a
replacement.

Any thoughts?
--
Cheers,

Steve
From: Conor on
On 03/08/2010 12:12, Steve wrote:
> I've got a 2006 era Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro (non Unibody) that appears
> to have died overnight. When I went to it this morning it was frozen
> and when I cycled the power it did not restart.
>
> It is not responding to the power button at all. PSU fault, logic
> board fault?
>
> Any tests or steps I can try to check it out more?
>
> Given the vintage of the machine I'm wondering whether it's worth
> repair or whether my IT 'budget' would be better spent on a
> replacement.
>
> Any thoughts?

I'd buy a replacement. At 4 years old, a new battery is likely to be
needed soon. By the time you factor in costs of repairs etc, and looking
at the specs of a replacement, it makes little financial sense. Pull the
hard drive out, wipe it securely, pop it back in then put the lot on
Ebay. For reasons I cannot fathom, faulty Macbook Pros seem to fetch a
fair few quid.

--
Conor www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
From: Steve Hodgson on
Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 12:12, Steve wrote:
>> I've got a 2006 era Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro (non Unibody) that appears
>> to have died overnight. When I went to it this morning it was frozen
>> and when I cycled the power it did not restart.
>>
>> It is not responding to the power button at all. PSU fault, logic
>> board fault?
>>
>> Any tests or steps I can try to check it out more?
>>
>> Given the vintage of the machine I'm wondering whether it's worth
>> repair or whether my IT 'budget' would be better spent on a
>> replacement.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> I'd buy a replacement. At 4 years old, a new battery is likely to be
> needed soon. By the time you factor in costs of repairs etc, and
> looking at the specs of a replacement, it makes little financial
> sense. Pull the hard drive out, wipe it securely, pop it back in then
> put the lot on Ebay. For reasons I cannot fathom, faulty Macbook Pros
> seem to fetch a fair few quid.

I think you might be right, although because of the way I use it I'm
already on battery no. 4!

I tried resetting the SMC and powering up while pressing control key and
the command key for three seconds. All to no avail.

I think a visit to a Genius Bar may be next.
--
Cheers,

Steve

The reply-to email is a spam trap but will be read
From: Fred McKenzie on
In article
<a92c5829-e165-427a-9b3d-3539be411b3b(a)t2g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
Steve <hamrun(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> It is not responding to the power button at all. PSU fault, logic
> board fault?

Steve-

Is it possible the computer is on-but-hung-up, possibly due to marginal
battery voltage?

With that assumption, connect the power adapter and try holding the
power button for 5 or 10 seconds to force it to turn off. If
successful, it would restart normally.

Fred
From: Steve Hodgson on
Fred McKenzie <fmmck(a)aol.com> wrote:
> In article
> <a92c5829-e165-427a-9b3d-3539be411b3b(a)t2g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
> Steve <hamrun(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is not responding to the power button at all. PSU fault, logic
>> board fault?
>
> Steve-
>
> Is it possible the computer is on-but-hung-up, possibly due to
> marginal
> battery voltage?
>
> With that assumption, connect the power adapter and try holding the
> power button for 5 or 10 seconds to force it to turn off. If
> successful, it would restart normally.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that and various combinations of
Vulcan death grip while holding down the power button. Hopefully will
out more tomorrow.
--
The reply-to email is a spam trap but will be read