From: T i m on
Hi All,

When trying to sort this MacBook to Canon printer problem recently
(now done thanks to Sak) I was frustrated by a few things that I
assume may be addressable.

Firstly, is there a way to enable the right / alternate click on the
trackpad buttons please? I looked in the prefs under 'mouse' and
'trackpad' but I couldn't spot the option in either (but then I was
busy at the time).

The second is what I think you call 'focus' (but it probably isn't)
where new windows come to the foreground?

It may not be something I've noticed before because our Macs are on 17
and 19" screens so you generally spot new windows opening up beside
the main one but on this MacBook (13"?), double clicking on a freshly
downloaded file (3 copies of the same) appeared to do nothing as it
mounted /behind/ Safari?

The users themselves don't push the Mac very hard so I can't see any
setting changes affecting them negatively.

Cheers, T i m

From: David Empson on
T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> When trying to sort this MacBook to Canon printer problem recently
> (now done thanks to Sak) I was frustrated by a few things that I
> assume may be addressable.
>
> Firstly, is there a way to enable the right / alternate click on the
> trackpad buttons please? I looked in the prefs under 'mouse' and
> 'trackpad' but I couldn't spot the option in either (but then I was
> busy at the time).

Assuming you have an older MacBook model with a single button below the
trackpad, there are configuration options to use two-finger gestures on
the trackpad to implement right click. The settings for this are in
System Preferences > Trackpad.

If you have "Tap to Click" enabled, then you can enable two-finger tap
to do right-click. (I use this setting.)

If you do not have "Tap to Click" enabled, then you can enable two
fingers on trackpad with button click to do right-click.

(I forget the exact wording - there is a series of three checkboxes with
these options about half way down the preference pane. It is called
"Secondary Click" instead of "Right Click".)

Recent models with a multi-touch trackpad (button integrated into the
trackpad) can be configured to do the two finger tap, and can also be
configured to distinguish between clicks in the bottom left and bottom
right corners, simulating the positions of the left and right buttons.
You can of course specify whether the secondary click is on the left or
right side.

> The second is what I think you call 'focus' (but it probably isn't)
> where new windows come to the foreground?
>
> It may not be something I've noticed before because our Macs are on 17
> and 19" screens so you generally spot new windows opening up beside
> the main one but on this MacBook (13"?), double clicking on a freshly
> downloaded file (3 copies of the same) appeared to do nothing as it
> mounted /behind/ Safari?

I don't get that. If I open a downloaded disk image from the Safari
downloads window, the disk image window pops up in front of the main
Safari window.

More investigation may be needed to narrow down why we see different
behaviour.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: T i m on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:20:27 +1200, dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David
Empson) wrote:

>> Firstly, is there a way to enable the right / alternate click on the
>> trackpad buttons please? I looked in the prefs under 'mouse' and
>> 'trackpad' but I couldn't spot the option in either (but then I was
>> busy at the time).
>
>Assuming you have an older MacBook model with a single button below the
>trackpad, there are configuration options to use two-finger gestures on
>the trackpad to implement right click. The settings for this are in
>System Preferences > Trackpad.

I believe the model is of that type with a longish mouse strip under
the trackpad area?

>If you have "Tap to Click" enabled, then you can enable two-finger tap
>to do right-click. (I use this setting.)

I'm not sure they do have 'Tap to click' enabled and I think I saw
that in the prefs (but was sort of opposite of what I was looking
for).

>If you do not have "Tap to Click" enabled, then you can enable two
>fingers on trackpad with button click to do right-click.

Hmm, so no ordinary actual 'right mouse click' then? ;-(

>(I forget the exact wording - there is a series of three checkboxes with
>these options about half way down the preference pane. It is called
>"Secondary Click" instead of "Right Click".)

Ok.

>Recent models with a multi-touch trackpad (button integrated into the
>trackpad) can be configured to do the two finger tap, and can also be
>configured to distinguish between clicks in the bottom left and bottom
>right corners, simulating the positions of the left and right buttons.
>You can of course specify whether the secondary click is on the left or
>right side.

Ok. So, it looks like you can't set a std 'right click from the actual
mouse buttons and I'm not sure they (the owners of the Mac) would be
bothered about anything else. It would really just be for me when I'm
working on it for them to get to the extra options (I found myself
trying the other keys in conjunction with the mouse to get the std
right-click stuff but as that wasn't the goal at the time just went
without).

>> The second is what I think you call 'focus' (but it probably isn't)
>> where new windows come to the foreground?
>>
>> It may not be something I've noticed before because our Macs are on 17
>> and 19" screens so you generally spot new windows opening up beside
>> the main one but on this MacBook (13"?), double clicking on a freshly
>> downloaded file (3 copies of the same) appeared to do nothing as it
>> mounted /behind/ Safari?
>
>I don't get that. If I open a downloaded disk image from the Safari
>downloads window, the disk image window pops up in front of the main
>Safari window.

Yes, that's what I'm more used to as well (and assumed it had been
turned off by mistake etc).

>More investigation may be needed to narrow down why we see different
>behaviour.

From your reply above I'm guessing what I expected was 'normal
behaviour' and if that's not what I got then maybe it could have been
something else, like, not being patient and clicking again so Safari
going back into the foreground over the download pane? Similar with
clicking /in/ the download window and not seeing anything happening so
doing it again ... no, I couldn't have ..?

Now we have the printing thing sorted I'll be able to look at it more
closely the next time I'm there.

Cheers, T i m
From: Woody on
T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:20:27 +1200, dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David
> Empson) wrote:
>

> >> Firstly, is there a way to enable the right / alternate click on the
> >> trackpad buttons please? I looked in the prefs under 'mouse' and
> >> 'trackpad' but I couldn't spot the option in either (but then I was
> >> busy at the time).
> >
> >Assuming you have an older MacBook model with a single button below the
> >trackpad, there are configuration options to use two-finger gestures on
> >the trackpad to implement right click. The settings for this are in
> >System Preferences > Trackpad.
>
> I believe the model is of that type with a longish mouse strip under
> the trackpad area?
> >
> >If you have "Tap to Click" enabled, then you can enable two-finger tap
> >to do right-click. (I use this setting.)
>
> I'm not sure they do have 'Tap to click' enabled and I think I saw
> that in the prefs (but was sort of opposite of what I was looking
> for).
> >
> >If you do not have "Tap to Click" enabled, then you can enable two
> >fingers on trackpad with button click to do right-click.
>
> Hmm, so no ordinary actual 'right mouse click' then? ;-(

well, the two finger thing gives you a context menu when you click, isnt
that what you mean? you cant have an actual right click as there is only
one button.

> Ok. So, it looks like you can't set a std 'right click from the actual
> mouse buttons and I'm not sure they (the owners of the Mac) would be
> bothered about anything else. It would really just be for me when I'm
> working on it for them to get to the extra options (I found myself
> trying the other keys in conjunction with the mouse to get the std
> right-click stuff but as that wasn't the goal at the time just went
> without).

Two finger click simulates control click, which is normally what the
second button is set to do as well when enabled.

> >> The second is what I think you call 'focus' (but it probably isn't)
> >> where new windows come to the foreground?
> >>
> >> It may not be something I've noticed before because our Macs are on 17
> >> and 19" screens so you generally spot new windows opening up beside
> >> the main one but on this MacBook (13"?), double clicking on a freshly
> >> downloaded file (3 copies of the same) appeared to do nothing as it
> >> mounted /behind/ Safari?
> >
> >I don't get that. If I open a downloaded disk image from the Safari
> >downloads window, the disk image window pops up in front of the main
> >Safari window.
>
> Yes, that's what I'm more used to as well (and assumed it had been
> turned off by mistake etc).

Or by intention.

Do you have 'Open safe attachments' selected in safari prefs?

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: T i m on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:20:38 +0100, usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk (Woody)
wrote:

>> Hmm, so no ordinary actual 'right mouse click' then? ;-(
>
>well, the two finger thing gives you a context menu when you click,

Understood.

> isnt
>that what you mean?

'Secondary mouse options', yes.

> you cant have an actual right click as there is only
>one button.

Ah. ;-( Now I thought there might be some 'magic' as with the other
Apple mice I've had where there is no physical left / right buttons
but the function exists (Mighty mouse)?

>Two finger click simulates control click, which is normally what the
>second button is set to do as well when enabled.

Yes, and what I would 'do' instinctively on any laptop running Win /
Lin and any Mac desktop with a mouse. If not right click on the mouse
then I'd stumble though it other ways as I'm not going to
instinctively go to anything else (as I only deal with this MacBook
rarely).

>> Yes, that's what I'm more used to as well (and assumed it had been
>> turned off by mistake etc).
>
>Or by intention.

Not by me and I doubt by them.

>Do you have 'Open safe attachments' selected in safari prefs?

Don't know so I'll check next time I'm there (and as I said to David,
when I can apply more time / interest to that rather than it being a
frustration re solving the printing thing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: 10.4 - Keychain not saving passwords
Next: iOS 4.0.1