From: Raymond Del Tondo on
"Raymond Wiker" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Raymond Del Tondo" <> writes:
>
>> At least for the real HP-48, you don't need any blown-up HP connection
>> software.
>> There exists a variety of communication programs for PC and Mac,
>> like KERMIT, which provides KERMIT transfer protocol,
>> and other terminal programs which provide X-Modem protocal transfer.
>
> I installed minicom + rzsz - this gives me X-, Y- and Z-MODEM
> support. I'm not sure if I need KERMIT as well (it would certainly not
> be my preferred option, as it's the slowest).

Of course you don't _need_ KERMIT ;-)
For file transfer I also prefer X-Modem.
But KERMIT has one advantage: The server mode,
which allows you remotely control the server machine,
at least to a certain level.

An example:
If I want to duplicate the contents of one of my HP-48G series machines,
I start KERMIT SERVER mode on the target machine,
then start my small UserRPL script on the sender.

This script first sends a receiver script to the receiver,
and ends server mode on the receiver.
Then the only things you have to do on the receiver machine
is to press VAR, then menu key 1.
This will start the receiver script.

The still waiting sender script then creates a list of objects to be
transferred,
and sends the list to the receiver via KERMIT.

The list is on both sides now, and objects
will be sent and received in a simple UserRPL loop,
via XSEND and XRECV, respectively.

This also works between a real HP-48 and Emu48, of course,
so complete state backups are a matter of just a few key presses;-)

It all depends on how you define the sender/receiver scripts...

IIRC, the newer machines, like FHB and 50g,
have an X-Modem server feature,
so these machines could achieve the same results w/o KERMIT,
but AFAIK the HP-48 doesn't have this feature.

From: Raymond Wiker on
Michael Heinz <ObviousTroll(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 28, 1:10 am, Raymond Wiker <r...(a)RawMBP.local> wrote:
>
>> I installed minicom + rzsz - this gives me X-, Y- and Z-MODEM
>> support. I'm not sure if I need KERMIT as well (it would certainly not
>> be my preferred option, as it's the slowest).
>
> The only reason I can think of for using KERMIT is for fetching
> directory listings. IIRC, the support for directory listings that's
> built into the HP-4x XMODEM protocol is non-standard, so rzsz doesn't
> support it.

Ok, good - thanks to you and Raymond I've learnt something new
today :-)
From: Raymond Wiker on
Raymond Wiker <raw(a)RawMBP.local> writes:

> Michael Heinz <ObviousTroll(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Aug 28, 1:10 am, Raymond Wiker <r...(a)RawMBP.local> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed minicom + rzsz - this gives me X-, Y- and Z-MODEM
>>> support. I'm not sure if I need KERMIT as well (it would certainly not
>>> be my preferred option, as it's the slowest).
>>
>> The only reason I can think of for using KERMIT is for fetching
>> directory listings. IIRC, the support for directory listings that's
>> built into the HP-4x XMODEM protocol is non-standard, so rzsz doesn't
>> support it.
>
> Ok, good - thanks to you and Raymond I've learnt something new
> today :-)

... and John, of course. I probably should get manuals for my
HP48GX...
From: Michael Heinz on