Prev: Pages?
Next: Data Backup
From: Skylamar Jones on
Hi. I have a friend who wants to buy a new Macbook Pro and she plans to
use Second Life. However, she found a number of posts online, on both
Apple's website and Second Life's website, saying that the Macbook Pro's
graphics card doesn't work with Second Life. Most of the posts are dated
2008 or earlier so I don't know if the problem exists with the new
Macbook Pro.

She is planning to buy a 15" model. All of the 15" models use the NVIDIA
GeForce GT 330M graphics card. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully
used Second Life with that card.

Thanks.
From: heron stone on
In article <skylamar-536236.20402830062010(a)free.teranews.com>,
Skylamar Jones <skylamar(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi. I have a friend who wants to buy a new Macbook Pro and she plans to
> use Second Life. However, she found a number of posts online, on both
> Apple's website and Second Life's website, saying that the Macbook Pro's
> graphics card doesn't work with Second Life. Most of the posts are dated
> 2008 or earlier so I don't know if the problem exists with the new
> Macbook Pro.
>
> She is planning to buy a 15" model. All of the 15" models use the NVIDIA
> GeForce GT 330M graphics card. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully
> used Second Life with that card.
>
> Thanks.

2nd life works fine on my MBP 2.93 GHz Core2Duo, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.6.4
built april 2009

--
unDO email address
___
From: David Empson on
heron stone <heronDO(a)gendo.net> wrote:

> In article <skylamar-536236.20402830062010(a)free.teranews.com>,
> Skylamar Jones <skylamar(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi. I have a friend who wants to buy a new Macbook Pro and she plans to
> > use Second Life. However, she found a number of posts online, on both
> > Apple's website and Second Life's website, saying that the Macbook Pro's
> > graphics card doesn't work with Second Life. Most of the posts are dated
> > 2008 or earlier so I don't know if the problem exists with the new
> > Macbook Pro.
> >
> > She is planning to buy a 15" model. All of the 15" models use the NVIDIA
> > GeForce GT 330M graphics card. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully
> > used Second Life with that card.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> 2nd life works fine on my MBP 2.93 GHz Core2Duo, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.6.4
> built april 2009

For the OP's reference in regards to video chipset compatibility, that
particular model has an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (dedicated graphics) and
GeForce 9400M (integrated graphics). Not sure which one heron stone is
using to play Second Life.

Not conclusive as to whether Second Life will work on the current 15"
MacBook Pro, as the GeForce GT 330M may need different drivers. The
likelihood is that if it doesn't work yet, it will once either Second
Life or Mac OS X are updated to fix any issues with the drivers for the
new chipset.

There has been one update of Mac OS X (10.6.4) since the new models were
released, so it may be two or three months before there is another
driver update (assuming 10.6.5 includes one).

(I don't use Second Life, but I do have the current 15" MacBook Pro.)

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Calum on
On 01/07/10 04:40, Skylamar Jones wrote:

> She is planning to buy a 15" model. All of the 15" models use the NVIDIA
> GeForce GT 330M graphics card. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully
> used Second Life with that card.

Just tried it onmy i5 MacBook Pro. It works, but you do get an initial
popup saying that the graphics card isn't recognized, but "it will
probably be ok". As such, I don't know if the experience is as optimal
as it could be, but it's certainly usable (inasmuch as Second Life is
ever usable...)

From: heron stone on
In article <1jkyupe.1uy16re1h2yacyN%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:

> heron stone <heronDO(a)gendo.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <skylamar-536236.20402830062010(a)free.teranews.com>,
> > Skylamar Jones <skylamar(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi. I have a friend who wants to buy a new Macbook Pro and she plans to
> > > use Second Life. However, she found a number of posts online, on both
> > > Apple's website and Second Life's website, saying that the Macbook Pro's
> > > graphics card doesn't work with Second Life. Most of the posts are dated
> > > 2008 or earlier so I don't know if the problem exists with the new
> > > Macbook Pro.
> > >
> > > She is planning to buy a 15" model. All of the 15" models use the NVIDIA
> > > GeForce GT 330M graphics card. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully
> > > used Second Life with that card.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > 2nd life works fine on my MBP 2.93 GHz Core2Duo, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.6.4
> > built april 2009
>
> For the OP's reference in regards to video chipset compatibility, that
> particular model has an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (dedicated graphics) and
> GeForce 9400M (integrated graphics). Not sure which one heron stone is
> using to play Second Life.

the same

--
unDO email address
___
Nature, heron stone
to be commanded, http://gendo.net
must be obeyed. mailto:heronDO(a)gendo.net

Pages: 1
Prev: Pages?
Next: Data Backup