From: erilar on
I don't have time yet to download the free trial of iWork 09, but would
like a couple questions answered by someone who knows/uses it.

The first one is, are you locked into their preformatted "templates"?
I prefer to create my own, but past experience with fancy programs is
that the more preformatted stuff is offered, the less freedom I'm
allowed.

And had anyone with it added the "Pages" app to an iPad? I'm REALLY
curious about this.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
From: BreadWithSpam on
erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> writes:

> I don't have time yet to download the free trial of iWork 09, but would
> like a couple questions answered by someone who knows/uses it.

Do download it and try it out. It's free to try and nobody can tell
you what'll work best for you.

> The first one is, are you locked into their preformatted "templates"?
> I prefer to create my own, but past experience with fancy programs is
> that the more preformatted stuff is offered, the less freedom I'm
> allowed.

You may start with completely blank pages and build them any way you
like. The page layout tools are quite good and it's very easy to
use. I usually start with one of their templates and then make
adjustments as I need, but do have complete freedom with respect to
that.

> And had anyone with it added the "Pages" app to an iPad? I'm REALLY
> curious about this.

I played with it for about 10 minutes at an Apple store since I don't
(yet) have an iPad. My impression is that it'd be more than adequate
for making minor adjustments or editing, but pretty horrible for
starting a substantial document from scratch. Then again, I work with
two screens on my mac and I really make use of all that real estate
and the fact that I can have reference materials up in some windows on
one screen and the document I'm working on on the other screen. And
as slick as the Pages app is on the iPad, I found it a little
difficult (and this would just be a matter of getting used to it) to
find certain functions and features.

But as I said, the iPad would be fabulous for minor edits and
adjustments. And it'd be great for lots of things one might do at,
say, a meeting rather than in the office. I'll probably get one, but
I'm not in a terrible rush and may wait for the first update, whatever
it adds (hopefully a front facing camera).

From: David Empson on
erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> I don't have time yet to download the free trial of iWork 09, but would
> like a couple questions answered by someone who knows/uses it.
>
> The first one is, are you locked into their preformatted "templates"?

No. Pages is a general purpose word processor and page layout program.
You can start with a blank page and create any layout you like. The
supplied templates are just examples you can use or ignore as you see
fit.

You can also save your own templates, which appear in the template
chooser under a My Templates category.

> I prefer to create my own, but past experience with fancy programs is
> that the more preformatted stuff is offered, the less freedom I'm
> allowed.

You'll be fine.

> And had anyone with it added the "Pages" app to an iPad? I'm REALLY
> curious about this.

Can't help there.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Erilar on
<BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net> wrote:
> erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> writes:
>
>> I don't have time yet to download the free trial of iWork 09, but
> > would
>> like a couple questions answered by someone who knows/uses it.
>
> Do download it and try it out. It's free to try and nobody can tell
> you what'll work best for you.

Oh I plan to do that when I'm a little less busy.

>> The first one is, are you locked into their preformatted "templates"?
> >
>> I prefer to create my own, but past experience with fancy programs is
> >
>> that the more preformatted stuff is offered, the less freedom I'm
>> allowed.
>
> You may start with completely blank pages and build them any way you
> like. The page layout tools are quite good and it's very easy to
> use. I usually start with one of their templates and then make
> adjustments as I need, but do have complete freedom with respect to
> that.

That's an important point for me.

>> And had anyone with it added the "Pages" app to an iPad? I'm REALLY
>> curious about this.
>
> I played with it for about 10 minutes at an Apple store since I don't
> (yet) have an iPad. My impression is that it'd be more than adequate
> for making minor adjustments or editing, but pretty horrible for
> starting a substantial document from scratch. Then again, I work with
> two screens on my mac and I really make use of all that real estate
> and the fact that I can have reference materials up in some windows on
> one screen and the document I'm working on on the other screen. And
> as slick as the Pages app is on the iPad, I found it a little
> difficult (and this would just be a matter of getting used to it) to
> find certain functions and features.

Oh, when I'm creating something, I'd be doing it on my home computer.
What I was thinking of doing with the iPad was carrying along
information created at home that I might need somewhere I'd only have
the iPad with me and might need to not only refer to, but to edit
slightly, such as travel info and bibliographies. It sounds as if that
would be feasible.

> But as I said, the iPad would be fabulous for minor edits and
> adjustments. And it'd be great for lots of things one might do at,
> say, a meeting rather than in the office. I'll probably get one, but
> I'm not in a terrible rush and may wait for the first update, whatever
> it adds (hopefully a front facing camera).

I like to use my camera as a camera 8-). I also have so much music on my
iPod that I won't be trying to load it on the iPad as well. The music
in the iPad will be mostly sheet music. It's a lot lighter than a
collection of music books!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist
From: BreadWithSpam on
Erilar <drache(a)chibardun.netinvalid> writes:
> <BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net> wrote:

> Oh, when I'm creating something, I'd be doing it on my home computer.
> What I was thinking of doing with the iPad was carrying along
> information created at home that I might need somewhere I'd only have
> the iPad with me and might need to not only refer to, but to edit
> slightly, such as travel info and bibliographies. It sounds as if that
> would be feasible.

I think so. Again, try using Pages at home and see if it works for
you. Then go to an Apple Store and spend a few minutes, now that
you're familiar with Pages, and see how it works on the iPad. It's
really pretty slick.

[iPad]
> > I'm not in a terrible rush and may wait for the first update, whatever
> > it adds (hopefully a front facing camera).
> >
> I like to use my camera as a camera 8-). I also have so much music on my

So do I. But I like to use computers for video chatting. I wouldn't
use an iPad for taking photos - what an awkward camera that would be!

> iPod that I won't be trying to load it on the iPad as well. The music
> in the iPad will be mostly sheet music. It's a lot lighter than a
> collection of music books!

If you're carrying the iPod and the iPad around both, I suppose
there's no reason for the music to be on both.