From: Peter Ceresole on
Last night on BBC3, in the relentlessly (and deliberately) superficial
'The noughties- was that it?' Pt 2. Towards the end of the programme, at
around 1h50m in, in the most important events of the decade, they do
'Mac v. PC'.

As I said, relentlessly superficial, therefore great fun.

It's on the iPlayer.

I admit that I saw the end by accident, so I don't know what the first
hour and a half were like. And Mac vc PC was at number 10 (out of 50,
counting in reverse order as you do), so I guess that makes it hugely
significant. I *think* no 9 was reality television and Jade Goody. So
*that* important.
--
Peter
From: Ian McCall on
On 2009-11-15 03:56:41 +0000, peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) said:

> Last night on BBC3, in the relentlessly (and deliberately) superficial
> 'The noughties- was that it?'....

Good title - it's been a rather underwhelming decade really, hasn't it.
Personally a lot's happened to me (a lot very good, some unfortunately
not so good), but I'm more thinking of the general world at large.

Glad to get this one out the way.

Cheers,
Ian

From: D.M. Procida on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> > Last night on BBC3, in the relentlessly (and deliberately) superficial
> > 'The noughties- was that it?'....
>
> Good title - it's been a rather underwhelming decade really, hasn't it.

On the contrary, global events have been pretty overwhelming, at least
from the perspective of a West that is losing the grip - that it used to
regard as its birthright - over the rest of the world.

Daniele
From: Peter Ceresole on
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

> On the contrary, global events have been pretty overwhelming, at least
> from the perspective of a West that is losing the grip - that it used to
> regard as its birthright - over the rest of the world.

Absolutely huge changes- not just in dominance, as happened at the turn
o the previous century when Britain lost industrial dominance first to
Germany, then to the USA (and financial dominance went with it, with
lags [1]) but in technology. That changed patterns of employment, and
it's still doing so.

What's interesting is that this gives rise to a lot of doom-mongering;
it's partially justified, in that human societies are bad at handling
change, but the reality is that in spite of cataclysms like the closure
of the mining industry, the great majority of people are genuinely
better off. Maybe not spiritually- spirituality is the responsibility of
the individual, not of society- but even in the past 50 years that I
have been able to observe as an adult, Britain has become infinitely
more confortable, less hidebound, than it used to be. Child mortality
falls- I always reckon that's a key indicator and one the Americans are
only now beginning to tackle, so they are becoming more civilised too,
joining the rest of the world, which is another huge change as it
implies that they are modifying their approach to wealth and inequality.
Not before time...

[1] By 'lags' of course I mean time lags, not Bernie Madoff. Criminality
works in a perfect free market, and adapts better than ay other aspect
of life. Criminals are fish swimming in the sea of human stupidity and
greed, and will never really be defeated. Another constant.

Anyway, time to learn Chinese.
--
Peter
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) said:
>
> > Last night on BBC3, in the relentlessly (and deliberately) superficial
> > 'The noughties- was that it?'....
>
> Good title - it's been a rather underwhelming decade really, hasn't it.
> Personally a lot's happened to me (a lot very good, some unfortunately
> not so good), but I'm more thinking of the general world at large.

The last decade has been the worst of my life so far and it's getting
worse.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me