From: zoara on
I know a few of you have had a reasonable play with Windows 7, and I'm
curious... What stuff has Microsoft done with it that Apple could really
learn from for the next version of OSX?

At first I thought I liked the feature where hovering over an app in the
taskbar gave you previews of all the app's open windows, but now I'm not
so sure; rolling my mouse over the dock would give me a headache, and I
have loads of windows open in some apps, which would make the previews
very small.

The "throw a window on each side of the screen and have them take up
exactly half the space" feature seems useful, in that you can quickly
set up two windows to be visible rather than spending (slightly) more
time arranging them manually to avoid overlap. Is it useful in practice?

Everything else I have heard of that seems interesting appears to be a
second-rate copy of OSX features. That Exposé "show the desktop" feature
(Aero Peek?) seems very badly thought-out; why do they leave the
outlines of all the windows onscreen?

I'd be interested in hearing the "highlights" from a Mac user's
perspective...

-zoara-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Ben Shimmin on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net>:

[...]

> I'd be interested in hearing the "highlights" from a Mac user's
> perspective...

I've played around with it a fair bit now, so here are the highlights
from my perspective:

b.

--
<bas(a)bas.me.uk> <URL:http://bas.me.uk/>
`Property, marriage, the law; as the bed to the river, so rule
From: Rob on
zoara wrote:
> I know a few of you have had a reasonable play with Windows 7, and I'm
> curious... What stuff has Microsoft done with it that Apple could really
> learn from for the next version of OSX?
>
> At first I thought I liked the feature where hovering over an app in the
> taskbar gave you previews of all the app's open windows, but now I'm not
> so sure; rolling my mouse over the dock would give me a headache, and I
> have loads of windows open in some apps, which would make the previews
> very small.
>
> The "throw a window on each side of the screen and have them take up
> exactly half the space" feature seems useful, in that you can quickly
> set up two windows to be visible rather than spending (slightly) more
> time arranging them manually to avoid overlap. Is it useful in practice?

I saw this done on an ad and thought it'd be very useful on SL. Got it
to work to a point with TwoUp, but alas that baulks on certain apps.
Someone kindly replied to my original query about this, and advised
Applescript - but rather beyond my limited abilities.

Rob
From: SteveH on
Rob <patchoulianREMOVE(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> zoara wrote:
> > I know a few of you have had a reasonable play with Windows 7, and I'm
> > curious... What stuff has Microsoft done with it that Apple could really
> > learn from for the next version of OSX?
> >
> > At first I thought I liked the feature where hovering over an app in the
> > taskbar gave you previews of all the app's open windows, but now I'm not
> > so sure; rolling my mouse over the dock would give me a headache, and I
> > have loads of windows open in some apps, which would make the previews
> > very small.
> >
> > The "throw a window on each side of the screen and have them take up
> > exactly half the space" feature seems useful, in that you can quickly
> > set up two windows to be visible rather than spending (slightly) more
> > time arranging them manually to avoid overlap. Is it useful in practice?
> >

> I saw this done on an ad and thought it'd be very useful on SL. Got it
> to work to a point with TwoUp, but alas that baulks on certain apps.
> Someone kindly replied to my original query about this, and advised
> Applescript - but rather beyond my limited abilities.

The only time I ever use that feature is when I'm working in Excel,
which has had it for years anyway.

Suppose it's a 'nice to have', but it's not essential.
--
SteveH
From: David Empson on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> I know a few of you have had a reasonable play with Windows 7, and I'm
> curious... What stuff has Microsoft done with it that Apple could really
> learn from for the next version of OSX?
>
> At first I thought I liked the feature where hovering over an app in the
> taskbar gave you previews of all the app's open windows, but now I'm not
> so sure; rolling my mouse over the dock would give me a headache, and I
> have loads of windows open in some apps, which would make the previews
> very small.

Snow Leopard already does something similar: Dock Expos�. Click and hold
on an icon for the application you want, and it shows previes for all
that application's windows. You can mouse over them and hit space bar
with QuickLook if you want to see it in greater detail, and click on a
preview to open in that window.

It also supports drag and drop between applications via Dock Expos�.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: The Mac Sale
Next: Macspotting- series of 100,000,000