From: T i m on
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:38:17 +0000, black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com (Jon B)
wrote:

>> Out of interest, why don't you set your Windows updates to work
>> similar to the Apple updates, informing you that they are available
>> but giving you the choice of when to install them?
>>

>I do now that I'm aware of the auto reboots and the potential pitfalls.
>But I'm not generally a Windows user so was caught out unawares of the
>perils of having a machine left for 5 minutes beside you doing vital
>work that it may then decide to do something else.

Ah, fairy muff.

I guess because I am a Windows user I know the 'wrinkles' so generally
set up all machines to behave as I feel is the most efficient / least
intrusive (auto updates etc).

Anyroadup, this isn't a Windows issue but user one as when you install
Windows it asks you if you want to use automatic updates or not. I
always say no (but may tweak the options later dependent on the role /
usage).

Cheers, T i m
From: Roger Merriman on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> Rob <patchoulianREMOVE(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > SteveH wrote:
>
> [snip: the "throw a window on each side of the screen and have them take
> up exactly half the space" feature]
>
> > > The only time I ever use that feature is when I'm working in Excel,
> > > which has had it for years anyway.
> > >
> > > Suppose it's a 'nice to have', but it's not essential.
> >
> > Indeed - I often work with Word and a web page, or web editor and a
> > text
> > doc, etc. It's not exactly taxing to manually resize.
>
> That kind of attitude is what gave us Windows in the first place,
> though. It may not be taxing, but it's still fiddlier and slower than
> throwing the two windows you want to compare onto the edges of the
> screen. And - presumably - has the benefit that when you undock them
> from the edges, they return to the same place they were originally.
>
> There may not be a huge difference in time or effort, but there *is* a
> difference, and making the little things easier is what separates a
> decent OS from an excellent one. Done right, I think this feature is a
> winner.
>
> -zoara-

I think it could be useful but as i never need to compare I'd need to
switch it off any way to stop accidental comparisons.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
From: zoara on
T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:40:42 +0000, black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com (Jon B)
> wrote:
>
> >Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> >> My favourite is the one where it automatically installs updates it
> >> thinks are important, and then reboots your computer without saving
> >> any of your work that you've left open.
> >>
> >Nor does it ask if the firmware update you've quietly left running on
> >your Nokia is OK to interupt either, and leaves you with a broken
> > phone.
> >Work I can retype, luckily the phone was fixed with a new board under
> >warranty.
>
> Out of interest, why don't you set your Windows updates to work
> similar to the Apple updates, informing you that they are available
> but giving you the choice of when to install them?

A better question is why doesn't Microsoft do this.

-zoara- (unsure whether a question mark is required)

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: zoara on
T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:
> Anyroadup, this isn't a Windows issue but user one as when you install
> Windows it asks you if you want to use automatic updates or not.

I am strongly reminded of Jim's boss here. I'm starting to understand
why you don't find Windows problematic.

T i m, I know you were recently asking about how one might go about
learning software development. Given your statement, I implore you,
please don't.

-zoara-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: T i m on
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:04:06 +0000, R <me32(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:57:53 +0000, T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>Anyroadup, this isn't a Windows issue but user one as when you install
>>Windows it asks you if you want to use automatic updates or not. I
>>always say no (but may tweak the options later dependent on the role /
>>usage).
>
>Soon after installing OS X the OS will start downloading updates
>by itself, and one is never asked if that's what's wanted. Often I
>have a copy of some of those updates and they don't need to be
>downloaded. Doing so is pointless and a waste of bandwidth.

Is there not an option during the install though (I don't know there
is).

Luckily bandwidth isn't the issue it once was (for most anyway), just
as well with the 3.5G GPS Map update I did the other day. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: The Mac Sale
Next: Macspotting- series of 100,000,000