From: Martin S Taylor on
My friend Angelo Carbone is undoubtedly the most creative and ingenious
designer of magic tricks in England, if not the world, and he has come up
with� a trick with the iPhone. He'd like to market it commercially, but first
it has to be programmed. (The method is already worked out, of course.) So
he's looking for an iPhone programmer.

Paying money up front is likely to be problematic, but a cut of the profit is
very much an option for anyone who wants to do the work.

Anyone up for it, or recommend someone who can?

Martin S Taylor

(I have a vague feeling that this should go in another newsgroup. Forgive me
if I've got things wrong, and tell me where to go... politely.)

From: Ian Piper on
On 2010-07-06 10:08:14 +0100, Martin S Taylor
<mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> said:

> My friend Angelo Carbone is undoubtedly the most creative and ingenious
> designer of magic tricks in England, if not the world, and he has come up
> with� a trick with the iPhone. He'd like to market it commercially, but first
> it has to be programmed. (The method is already worked out, of course.) So
> he's looking for an iPhone programmer.
>
> Paying money up front is likely to be problematic, but a cut of the profit is
> very much an option for anyone who wants to do the work.
>
> Anyone up for it, or recommend someone who can?
>
> Martin S Taylor
>
> (I have a vague feeling that this should go in another newsgroup. Forgive me
> if I've got things wrong, and tell me where to go... politely.)

Hi Martin,

Try Agant. They do a lot of iPhone development, their best-known app
being probably the National Rail Enquiries app.

Email: dave.addey(a)agant.com

Disclaimer: I know Dave personally and we occasionally work together.

Ian.
--
Ian Piper
Author of "Learn Xcode Tools for Mac OS X and iPhone Development",

From: Martin S Taylor on
Ian Piper wrote
> Try Agant. They do a lot of iPhone development, their best-known app
> being probably the National Rail Enquiries app.

Thanks. I'll pass on what you say to Angelo, though I have to say I hate the
NRE app - total inconsistency between 12-hour and 24-hour clock. I e-mailed
them about this, and they replied that 'most people prefer it that way', to
which there's no answer, of course, other than 'I don't believe you'.

Anyhow, that's hardly your concern. I'll see what Angelo makes of it.

MST

From: Ian McCall on
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:
> ...I have to say I hate the
> NRE app - total inconsistency between 12-hour and 24-hour clock. I
> e-mailed
> them about this, and they replied that 'most people prefer it that
> way', to
> which there's no answer, of course, other than 'I don't believe you'.

What's the inconsistency? Curious.

Cheers,
Ian
From: Martin S Taylor on
Ian McCall wrote
> Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:
>> ...I have to say I hate the
>> NRE app - total inconsistency between 12-hour and 24-hour clock. I
>> e-mailed
>> them about this, and they replied that 'most people prefer it that
>> way', to
>> which there's no answer, of course, other than 'I don't believe you'.
>

> What's the inconsistency? Curious.

For example: at main screen, hit "Plan a journey". Hit "Departing now"
(which, although it doesn't look like a button, is the way to set the desired
departure time of the train).

The standard scroll wheel for times appears, in whatever time format is set
in your Settings. I prefer 24-hour format, so I can set the search to look
for trains which depart at, say, 1400h. This is confirmed in a box at the top
as 2 PM. (Not even 2pm, which would be the British standard.)

(There are also buttons where I can immediately select 9am and 5pm, which are
presumably considered common choices.)

Most people prefer it this way.

MST