From: biggus on

"zashi" <tragic.descent(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Dec 18, 9:58 am, "biggus" <dd...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm already taking into consideration I'll need an experimental cage
> to run the magnetron in, as well as a target to absorb or at least
> diffuse the rays.

absorb, diffusing will not work, one needs to remove the energy as
generated.

Cage may have to be big if you are using a horn.

> I figured modifying and using in concert would not work, as I've seen
> from other people's works.
>
> I like the idea of the neon bulb. I've played with bulbs in EM fields
> before, but never thought to use one as a warning device.
>
> A lot of my problem comes down to price. I know I can get an extremely
> high powered 'maggie' (50+kW) but don't really want to spend $1000 on
> something that'll just as likely kill me as break within an hour of
> testing.

Just buy an oven, cheap and has all the parts to run the maggie. $150 and
your done, and has a cage built on it.

> Also, any suggestions for a buying/building/designing a microwave horn?

at 2 gigs the horn is large, 1 foot by one foot(?), simple design, but not
too critical
google for microwave horn antenna armature or something like that
there is more armature stuff out there on this

but never look into the maggie, and have several interlocks on power to
maggie by the time you feel the heat, it is too late for eyes and other
parts of body that do not detect heat well.

I knew a guy that had an x-ray machine he played around with.

From: jimp on
zashi <tragic.descent(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 18, 9:58 am, "biggus" <dd...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Main problem is trying not to cook eyes
> > and get cataracks. At these power levels (oven) one needs to have a double
> > shielded chamber to be safe.

> I'm already taking into consideration I'll need an experimental cage
> to run the magnetron in, as well as a target to absorb or at least
> diffuse the rays.

> I figured modifying and using in concert would not work, as I've seen
> from other people's works.

> I like the idea of the neon bulb. I've played with bulbs in EM fields
> before, but never thought to use one as a warning device.

> A lot of my problem comes down to price. I know I can get an extremely
> high powered 'maggie' (50+kW) but don't really want to spend $1000 on
> something that'll just as likely kill me as break within an hour of
> testing.

> Also, any suggestions for a buying/building/designing a microwave horn?

Both the ARRL and the RSGB publish a number of books on UHF/Microwave.

Their books are aimed at the practical, nuts-and-bolts issues for
amateur radio operators.

If there is an amateur radio store in your area, the best bet is go
there and browse through the books, or:

http://www.arrl.org/catalog

Click on VHF/UHF/Microwave and RSGB Publications.

If you want to experiment with microwaves, I would suggest starting
with Gunn diodes as they can be had at dirt cheap prices and the power
levels aren't high enough to cause injury unless you do something really
stupid like stare into the horn.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
From: Uncle Al on
zashi wrote:
[snip]

> That said, as of late I've had my interests in magnetrons and wave
> guides piqued. I'm interested in experimenting with microwave oven
> magentrons and working with significantly more powerful magnetrons or
> using multiple magnetrons in concert or merely modifying microwave
> oven magnetrons.
>
> Can anyone suggest books that include information on theory and
> application to this end? Online resources would be appreciated too.
> Most information I find simply explains how a magnetron works and how
> neat it is to zap CD-ROMs with them.
>
> Also on my dossier of desired experimentation is ablative lasers and
> magnetic containment fields, all to the end of manipulating plasma.
>
> So, are there any experts or more knowledgeable amateurs out there
> willing to share a few thoughts?

You could talk with SLAC. Bear in mind that the klystron was invented
by the Swedish Varian brothers, and "klyster" is Swedish for "enema."
Don't get caught in the backwash.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
From: Uncle Al on
Bob Cain wrote:

> zashi wrote:
> > I am aware of
> > the dangers of high voltage, high power radio and microwave radiation
> > (like destroying electronics and cataracts)
>
> I'm not. I was aware of the dangers of ionizing radiation but not of those
> which you mention. Since I am developing cataracts and worked for a year as an
> operator of the 300 MEV betatron at the University of Illinois some 40 years ago
> I would very much like to know more.
>
> Is it possible that the radiation badges of that era would allow cataract
> causing levels of high energy radiation without flagging an overdose?

Google
"radiation cataracts" 2020 hits
"radiation cataracts" astronauts 229 hits

Radiation cataract onset is typically less than a decade. A fat dose
of anti-inflammatory steroids will do steroid cataracts. Cataract
formation is typical from 60 years of age onward. On the bright side,
a decent ophthalmologist will cancel your eyeglass sphere correction
for one of near, reading, middle, or far vision when he implants an
IOL. Presbyopia-correcting IOLs are going clinical.

A crappy ophthalmologist will add cylinder correction from a sloppy
incision.

From: Bob Cain on
zashi wrote:
> I am aware of
> the dangers of high voltage, high power radio and microwave radiation
> (like destroying electronics and cataracts)

I'm not. I was aware of the dangers of ionizing radiation but not of those
which you mention. Since I am developing cataracts and worked for a year as an
operator of the 300 MEV betatron at the University of Illinois some 40 years ago
I would very much like to know more.

Is it possible that the radiation badges of that era would allow cataract
causing levels of high energy radiation without flagging an overdose?

Thanks,

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein