From: Andy Hewitt on
Having said that I wasn't prepared to pay for the plugins for Mail,
well, I might change my mind. Since my recent comments about
Thunderbird, I decided to try out both Letterbox and MailHub.

Now I've used them for a few days, I think they maybe becoming
indispensible. Letterbox is mostly an aesthetics things, although the
dual line message list os rather useful. Being able to see most of a
message pane in one go is neat too. Not sure it's so useful on the
MacBook's 13" screen though (I use it mainly on an external 20"
widescreen).

MailHub I'd never heard of before, I think it popped up on MacUpdate
recently, so I tried it out. Now that is quite useful, although I'm
finding it hard to justify the cost/benefit. It's basically changed the
way I work in Mail.

Instead of using Rules to move my messages automatically, I'm now using
MailHub to do it manually. However, this has also meant that it's far
easier to work with IMAP accounts on Googlemail (using a Smart Mailbox
always created duplicate copied of messages on the Google server).
Although it's manual, it seems to have learnt my setup very quickly, and
filing a bunch of messages is almost as quick as reading them.

Anybody else using these, if so, any known issues?

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: Bruce Horrocks on
On 29/06/2010 20:18, Andy Hewitt wrote:
> Having said that I wasn't prepared to pay for the plugins for Mail,
> well, I might change my mind. Since my recent comments about
> Thunderbird, I decided to try out both Letterbox and MailHub.

Thunderbird 3.1 has been released in the meantime so you might want to
give that a go as well.

Upgrade went seamlessly for me and seems snappier. The 'quick filter'
toolbar gives instant results.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey
From: Andy Hewitt on
Bruce Horrocks <07.013(a)scorecrow.com> wrote:

> On 29/06/2010 20:18, Andy Hewitt wrote:
> > Having said that I wasn't prepared to pay for the plugins for Mail,
> > well, I might change my mind. Since my recent comments about
> > Thunderbird, I decided to try out both Letterbox and MailHub.
>
> Thunderbird 3.1 has been released in the meantime so you might want to
> give that a go as well.
>
> Upgrade went seamlessly for me and seems snappier. The 'quick filter'
> toolbar gives instant results.

Yeah, I did, but it only lasted a few hours before I went back to Mail.
I just find the whole Thunderbird/Firefox experience doesn't suit me - I
find they both look messy and cluttered, which gets exponentially worse
as addons are installed.

Trying to manage a mix of POP and IMAP accounts in Thunderbird, along
with multiple addresses also seems somewhat messy, not to mention the
lack of more than one signature.

Mail isn't perfect by any means, but for me it ticks more boxes than
Thunderbird does.

From: Bruce Horrocks on
On 29/06/2010 21:50, Andy Hewitt wrote:
> Trying to manage a mix of POP and IMAP accounts in Thunderbird, along
> with multiple addresses also seems somewhat messy, not to mention the
> lack of more than one signature.

I commented on that before. You can only have one signature per identity
but you can have multiple identities per account, each with different
signatures. Switching between them is as simple as selecting a different
identity from the drop down at the top of the new message. The signature
changes on the fly without messing up any message text already written.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey
From: Andy Hewitt on
Bruce Horrocks <07.013(a)scorecrow.com> wrote:

> On 29/06/2010 21:50, Andy Hewitt wrote:
> > Trying to manage a mix of POP and IMAP accounts in Thunderbird, along
> > with multiple addresses also seems somewhat messy, not to mention the
> > lack of more than one signature.
>
> I commented on that before. You can only have one signature per identity
> but you can have multiple identities per account, each with different
> signatures. Switching between them is as simple as selecting a different
> identity from the drop down at the top of the new message. The signature
> changes on the fly without messing up any message text already written.

Righto, understood. Still not as simple as Mail though.

It can get very messy indeed if you have an account with many aliases,
for example. I have four on my MobileMe account, which would need 16
identities to implement all the signatures I have.

With Mail, I have a single identity, the aliases are simply added on the
'Email Address' line, seperated by commas, and one set of signatures can
be applied to any, or all accounts, as appropriate.