From: Kelly Bert Manning on
COBOL is the main language used with MFE so I hope this isn't too far off
topic.

We started getting S0D3 abends trying to download files from z/OS to the
workbench. By coincidence the MFASERV mainframe started task/long running
job started getting those after ESO, HIPER and Pervasive maintenance
fixes were applied.

Has anyone else using MFE drag and drop experienced this?

I am still able to view and download my job output, but not datasets.

MFASERV output is not something I have access to, even with IOF on
the mainframe, so I have no idea of the context of the abends.

Opening a ticket with the data center operator proved fruitless, for
reasons I can't mention, except to say that they view it as a client
installed product, among other issues.

Unfortunate timing, we just renewed the remaining workstation licences
for another year.
From: Clark F Morris on
On 26 Jun 2010 22:03:24 GMT, bo774(a)FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Kelly Bert
Manning) wrote:

>COBOL is the main language used with MFE so I hope this isn't too far off
>topic.
>
>We started getting S0D3 abends trying to download files from z/OS to the
>workbench. By coincidence the MFASERV mainframe started task/long running
>job started getting those after ESO, HIPER and Pervasive maintenance
>fixes were applied.
>
>Has anyone else using MFE drag and drop experienced this?
>
>I am still able to view and download my job output, but not datasets.
>
>MFASERV output is not something I have access to, even with IOF on
>the mainframe, so I have no idea of the context of the abends.
>
>Opening a ticket with the data center operator proved fruitless, for
>reasons I can't mention, except to say that they view it as a client
>installed product, among other issues.

Since this is a product that is currently paid for, open up a
complaint with the vendor. Also the data center operator may have to
provide OS related info. If the vendor has a web-site check it for
details under support. Your site probably is not the site of first
discovery. If none of these help you can subscribe to IBM-MAIN, by
sending an email to listserv(a)bama.ua.edu with the
following in the body: SUBSCRIBE IBM-MAIN <firstname> <lastname>.
you can then modify your sign on to get no e-mails and follow it on
bit.listserv.ibm-main or get e-mails. You must be subscribed to
submit a posting that will get read by those who don't follow
bit.listserv.ibm-main but just get the listserv output.

From: Brian Crane on
Hi Kelly,

I had a conversation with our z/OS systems development group, and the
resulting advice is, perhaps obvious and predictable, that we would need
access to the MFA SYSLOGS from z/OS to have a better chance of diagnosing
this. Failing this, we recommend ensuring that your level of MFA installed
is the latest level including all published fixpacks.

From the exception code our system guys came up with some educated guesses
about what may be wrong:
1. Could it be that the level of z/OS is old (or are you indeed using a
recent/current level, in which case we rule this out)?
2. Security setup....MFA uses cross memory services (XMS) for our Endevor
and ChangeMan support, to deliver transactions and return responses to our
Agents running as spawned task in another address space.Security errors
could cause abends which invalidate XMS setup, and lead to invalid
cross-memory operations.

Sorry but we cannot be more precise based on the information given.

Best regards
Brian Crane, Micro Focus.

From: Kelly Bert Manning on
"Brian Crane" (brian.crane(a)microfocus.com) writes:
> Hi Kelly,
>
> I had a conversation with our z/OS systems development group, and the
> resulting advice is, perhaps obvious and predictable, that we would need
> access to the MFA SYSLOGS from z/OS to have a better chance of diagnosing
> this. Failing this, we recommend ensuring that your level of MFA installed
> is the latest level including all published fixpacks.
>
> From the exception code our system guys came up with some educated guesses
> about what may be wrong:
> 1. Could it be that the level of z/OS is old (or are you indeed using a
> recent/current level, in which case we rule this out)?

The recent maintenance for z/OS V1.10 moved it up to ESO/1002 plus PEs and
HIPERs. That applies to all the installed IBM sofware related to z/OS.

> 2. Security setup....MFA uses cross memory services (XMS) for our Endevor
> and ChangeMan support, to deliver transactions and return responses to our
> Agents running as spawned task in another address space.Security errors
> could cause abends which invalidate XMS setup, and lead to invalid
> cross-memory operations.
>
> Sorry but we cannot be more precise based on the information given.

I'm afraid I can't either, but I have a security request in for IOF
access to ouput from the MFASERV started task. I'm hoping that will shed
some light on this.

MFASERV runs with a RACF ID registered to the Data Center Operator,
even though they say they didn't install it and don't support it.

I told them I'd be happy to take over support as long as they are
OK with giving me the ability to update the Authorized Library
it runs from. -)

Since I can't see MFASERV I can't confirm what level it is.

We don't use Endevor or ChangeMan.

I have also asked the application which paid for the workstation licence
extensions to review their contract history to confirm that they also
paid for maintenance of the MFA z Server software, and what contact
information, customer numbers, password, and so on information they have.

The data center is moving, to a new location and new contracted management,
at the end of the year. Could be an interesting next few months.

Pages: 1
Prev: offensive emails
Next: MF COBOL 3.1 work wanted