From: sweeneysmsm on
I am not a networking person. I design Access databases.

My client wants two people to be able to use an Access database on a server
(that has Groups and users assigned) but that only one person at a time can
open it. I have told them that the recommended solution is to split the
database into front-end and back-end but their network person doesn't want me
to do this(?)... I can lock down records in tables, but not the database. Can
the network administrator set usage to a single person at a time?

From: Phillip Windell on
If you want only one to edit it at a time then *don't* split it. The 2nd,
3rd, 4th person can only open it as "read-only". You cannot stop mulitple
people from using it,...you can only stop multiple people from editing it.

It you want multiple people to edit it then you *must* split it. It
doesn't matter what the networking person wants or does not want,...things
are what they are, and Access does not care about what he thinks.

So your idea is backwards. Split = multiple editors Not Split = one
editor, first come first server.

--
Phillip Windell

From: russ yahoo account on
No don'y split it then set the open rights to Exclusive only.

From: Phillip Windell on
We are saying the same thing,...other than I didn't mention the Open Rights.

--
Phillip Windell